Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rigging a Soss hinge

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jason_spiller
432 Views, 3 Replies

Rigging a Soss hinge

Hi All

I'm trying to rig a Soss hinge but it been years since I did anything but simple rigging and I'm struggling like a b*tch to do this. Essentially there are two main hinge sections, with 4 linking components and 5 pins holding the whole assembly together, I need to rig this so that I can have 1 controller to make the hinge assembly rotate -I know linking/constraints and maybe wiring would be part of the process but I'm on a time deadline and simpy don't have the time to muddle through as I have a sh*tload of modelling to work on too, so any assistance would be VERY greatfully recieved.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hazmondo
in reply to: jason_spiller

I'm not really sure how a soss hinge moves but from seeing pictures of it on google I'd suggest using a 3-bone ik chain (bone001, bone002 and bone003 is the nub).
LinkedIn: linkedin.com/pub/harry-houghton/51/20a/707
Vimeo: vimeo.com/user9745086
YouTube: youtube.com/user/Hazmondo/videos
Twitter: twitter.com/Haz_Houghton
Facebook: facebook.com/harry.houghton.5
Message 3 of 4

That sounds like a good solution.

Message 4 of 4

I think your solution is probably the right one - I will attempt to use that method when I get the opportunity - thanks Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report