Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Running Extremely Slow

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
20043 Views, 7 Replies

Maya Running Extremely Slow

Hey guys, while trying to set my stepped keys in Maya to linear, things started running really slow and freezing a lot. Even simple things like trying to move keys around takes forever. I'm not sure if there's some setting I'm not aware of that's bugging things down.

Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pna3ebdl10ckxdc/Kim-File.mb?dl=0

I've tried multiple computers so that's not the problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pshwayka
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you trying to work with Viewport 2.0 active?  I just opened your scene and it became a lot more responsive when I switched to the Legacy High Quality viewport.  Might be something to try...

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pshwayka

Thanks, this did seem to help some! Also, I found out working in flat shading vs. smooth speeds things up a bit.

Message 4 of 8
pete28TFZ

Hello.

I'm having the same problem running Maya 2017. i tried to switch to the legacy view port as suggested by some of you, but i get a message saying the render engine doesn't support legacy view port. so i am stuck with viewport 2.0

i am on a power mac , with a 2x 2.26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB of memory and a NVIDEA Ge Force GT 120 512 MB graphics card

My scene is really light, and it runs absolutely fine with my friend's power mac computer.

Any other ideas?

Message 5 of 8
kelly_hynes
in reply to: pete28TFZ

You can also try hiding the timeline.  Use the Animation < Playback menu to play and stop the scene.  I do not work on OSX very often, but when I do, I notice things run slower with the timeline visible.

Kelly

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 6 of 8
kelly_hynes
in reply to: pete28TFZ

Also in Preferences < Display scroll down to the bottom and you have display settings there.   Can you set it to use Legacy viewport.  You will have to restart Maya after.

Let me know if that works for you.

Kelly

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you. This worked for me. I forgot to change Viewport 2.0. If you run across this issue, where Maya freezes for seconds or minutes any time you attempt to do something, in the viewscreen, go to Renderer and change to Legacy Default Viewport. This may help fix this issue.

Message 8 of 8
zivnew

If viewport is fast for you but manipulating keys is extremely slow. I think that deleting hidden motion trails is what solved it for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report