Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knee popping out to the side during rigging process.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
KGreenblatt
1491 Views, 1 Reply

Knee popping out to the side during rigging process.

Hello friends, 

I am having a problem while rigging a series of characters modeled by my company. I have set up a reverse foot and a no-flip knee (Art of Rigging Vol. 1's method). The leg functions properly, my attributes work fine, but I am not using a pole vector for the knee and when I raise the foot control the knee pops out to the side. 

I never use a pole vector, I use a knee twist attribute. However, even after experimenting with a simple pole vector constraint on the ankle/leg IK to a locator, this still happens. I have had to counter animate the knee on the last 4 characters because of this. 

Unfortunately, these models aren't in a true T-pose, the legs are wider than the hips, and the toes and knees are pointed outward. I create the bones, then orient the rotation down the chain so the orientation is correct--- I'm wondering if this is happening because the leg bones aren't going straight up and down, but more trying to follow the contours of the model. And no matter if I use a no-flip knee, a pole vector, or what, the knee STILL pops out to the side. It's making animating these models a pain in the butt because I'm constantly counter animating the knee so the leg is straight on simple things like run cycles. 

I have attached a picture to show what I'm talking about. 

Please help, this is driving me nuts. 

Kenny

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
saihtam
in reply to: KGreenblatt

Hey,

When you say you used a pole vector constraint on a locator, where did you place that locator? It needs to be placed in front of the knee. I usually just parent it under the foot ctrl. This way the knee always points in the direction of the foot.
- Mathias

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report