Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing a hand to a position while animating the rest of a humanoid?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
KimAtLearnPro
2924 Views, 5 Replies

Freezing a hand to a position while animating the rest of a humanoid?

My model has been rigged and is using a control rig.

The character has to do small movements while holding on to a door handle. However I am having the problem of when I move the character to a new position, say side stepping, I then have to re position the hand/ arm to get as close to where it was originally as possible. At the moment the hand is moving about around the handle.

Is there away I can freeze the hand, so it doesnt move however you move the rest of the body?

Any help would be much appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pshwayka
in reply to: KimAtLearnPro

You could probably use a point constraint to make the hand stay on the door handle...I'm assuming you have an IK chain for the arm with the IK handle at the hand.

Message 3 of 6
lee.dunham
in reply to: pshwayka

a parentConstraint would be more suitable - depending on rig setup. You could also look at tools like zvParentMaster for spaceswitching.
Message 4 of 6
pshwayka
in reply to: lee.dunham

Duly noted, Lee.  For some reason, the way the scene was described, I didn't picture the character actually opening the door...more like just hanging onto the door handle as a static object, as if it was locked.

Message 5 of 6
santd
in reply to: pshwayka

Thank you Lee and pshwayka,

Both great suggestions and should work for what is described in the scene.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 6 of 6
KimAtLearnPro
in reply to: santd

Thank you.

I tried out zvParentMaster and works great. When the hand is parent to the handle, it is still hard for the movement to look completely natural as the wrist moves around alot. But for the project I am working this is fine as the character will be doing this movement in a room filled full of smoke therefore they will be hard to see/ doesn't have to be perfect.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums