Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does maya have a path constraint like in max?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
digsalot
2838 Views, 2 Replies

does maya have a path constraint like in max?

Hello

I know about motion paths, but these don't seem to give me what i need, as I do not want the timeline to govern where my locators are postioned along the cv curve - i want them to remain at their positions (.4, .625, etc) regardless of where the timeline is or where the control verts get moved to.

In max, you can path constrain locators to a curve - deleting the animation from those now constrained locators leaves them constrained to the curve - now you can set what percentage along the curve they should stay - 0, .25, .5, .75, 1 - when you translate the points of the curve, the locators stay on the curve

this is what I'm trying to achieve in maya

any help would be great, thanks!

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
digsalot
in reply to: digsalot

colleague solved it - create the curve, create a locator - attach locator to curve (attach to motion path) - open up hypergraph:connections, delete only the anim curve connection 

Message 3 of 3
diaria20
in reply to: digsalot

Hey, thanks for figuring it out and then posting the solution here!

A quick note for total hypergraph noobs (like me):

In the hypergraph, click on the object that is connected to the motion path and select from the top menu "Graph --> Input and Output Connections" to expose the animation curve input. 

Now under your "Inputs" on the object that is connected to the motion curve you can modify and "U" value and it will be independant of the timeline.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report