Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cluster deformer problem on paper folding

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hyoahn
572 Views, 3 Replies

Cluster deformer problem on paper folding

I am trying to simulate a paper folding using cluster deformer and I was able to make a kite base (1st photo) with no problem. Everything works fine up to this point (I am using double side shaders).  Here I only fold the paper by less than 180 degrees rotation in order to avoid the overlapping. Also edges are all hardened.

Then I was trying to fold the base in half vertically and everything work fine up to the rotation of 89 degrees (2nd photo). But if I increase the rotation angle by 1 degree, i.e., 90 degrees rotation, the front sided shader smeared into the back (3rd photo).  It seems that there is a twisting of meshes but I don't see anything from this simple setup.

If you have experienced this kind of problem, I would appreciate your comments.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
hyoahn
in reply to: hyoahn

A simple face rotation could solve the problem.  But I would like to know why the cluster deformer fails in this case since this is a simple setup.

The correspoind mesh is included.

Message 3 of 4
hyoahn

Here I am showing my hypershade and cluster deformer setup.

Message 4 of 4
hyoahn

The problem is finally solved by relying on skeleton method.

It seems that there is a bug on cluster deformer.

I made a change on the kite base so that there is enough gap between two layers (i.e., I made 178 degrees rotation).

This doesn't help. The cluster deformer gives the same result.  It is very disappointing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report