Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Round Tool

Global Round Tool

The 'Round' tool is used for quickly creating round transitions between surfaces.  The current implementation works by clicking on individual edges and providing a radius.  If many edges are to be 'rounded' it can be quite time consuming.

Would it be of value to provide a way to box select a collection of edges and perform a 'Global Round'?

4 Comments
forduser
Observer

This would be great! After Box setecting the shape to round, have the option to de-select edge you don't want rounded. Shift+MLB drag a box over the highlighted edge to deselect. or RMB click on edge. or RMB drag a box while still actived with the Global Round Tool.

nicolas.caquelin
Participant

I saw this similar workflow in Icem Surf for a global radius, rigt?

At the moment my concern is more about the math quality of the Round tool. For me this is not at the level of Alias capability and of course compare to Icem Surf.

It could be nice if the round tool provide at least a simple and good radii (degre 3 without multi spans)... And after that it if we can chose Besier structure will be very nice also (for me)...

Becareful to do not go to close at the direct modelling way! the math's result was very poor at the moment compare to the surfacing job, I like the push and pull workflow but the quallity is not there at the moment.

christj
Contributor

I think chain select on the round tool would be enough. Global select sounds too out of control for me, although being able to drag select a bunch of edges of, say, a grill or hole pattern, would be pretty cool. 

I've been using fusion a bit lately to apply rads (viz only) and although theres a bit of messing around to make sure the model transfers robustly, the workflow is pretty good. Fusion needs a "send to Alias" button tho 🙂

Agreed on the surface quality. Basically the rad tool needs the same control options as surf fillet.

brian.osborn
Enthusiast

Although obviously the surface quality of the round tool is poor, we sometimes need to add a lot of very small radii ( less than 1mm) to parts such as grilles, we currently go to other software such as Catia or NX to do this as a global pick edge, also Alias seems much slower to produce simple round edges even on simple intersections.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report