Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I offset my surfaces?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
eobet
3420 Views, 4 Replies

Why can't I offset my surfaces?

I can open a new document and offset any surface, no problem.

But today I spent a few hours (!) perfecting two surfaces and for some reason, any offset I create becomes a 0 offset surface, even though the preview animates properly and shows an offset surface at a distance.

Please try to open the attached file and tell me if you can offset any of these two surfaces or not?

Thank you!

PS. When I try various different inputs and combinations with the offset tool, Alias actually crashes.

EDIT: What is this? I'm trying to attach a 22kb zip file of my wire and I get "

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
eobet
in reply to: eobet

Still can't add... try this instead:

https://mega.co.nz/#!2EF3VB7C!IaDXgDNVA_LHSrItAGawbArEGHcVqOx-hgqxChVg1fw

(Interesting that I had to type in that site myself... Google did not show it, I had to remember the exact address.)

Message 3 of 5
JohnDixon8251

Offset does not like that at the end of your surface you have 6 cvs piled on top of each other. If you detach the tiniest little corner of your surface it will offset fine. In general, if you can stay away from 3 sided surfaces (not that offset will not work with 3 sided surfaces) things will work out better. Some other systems will not accept 3 sided surfaces if you ever try to output to them.

Message 4 of 5
eobet

Wow, thank you for the information!

But aren't you then also saying that Alias can't offset revolved surfaces? (Because that is how that surface was shaped. I did not put those vertices in the same position, Alias did that on its own when I did a revolve.)

What a huge limitation in that case!

Message 5 of 5
JohnDixon8251

I spent some time with your file and recreating similar situations and the answer is rather strange. You can definitely offset a revolve, including ones that have points on the center of rotation and that have the first 2 points perpendicular to the axis (as you have it, making the surface tangent across the centerline) but how close to the axis of rotation that second point is is the problem. I do not see a logical reason but as long as the second point is far enough away from the first point, the offset works fine, make the surface too pointy and the offset fails. It is strange and I may look at it further, there may be a tolerance issue involved or something.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report