Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What basic surfacing knowledge am I missing?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
eobet
583 Views, 1 Reply

What basic surfacing knowledge am I missing?

Please have a look at the attached four surfaces.

It's a quarter of the model I'm trying to make, thus the implied tangency.

Every curve is 5 degree, on the same plane and I've made sure the combs are smooth.

Yet, I can't line up a single surface curvature continuous.

I'm obviously missing something very basic, since this shouldn't be difficult at all, But what?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ravenzep
in reply to: eobet

Hello. Ok, i had a look at your surface. It s all pretty simple stuff as you are correctly think. And yes, you are missing a basic surface theoretical thing, and that is FLAT surfaces. Typically when you align something to those flat surfaces you have, you get a reading of 1.0 for the deviation..... This is a typical sign of Flat surfaces. Look at the comb... It s a staright line almost and no matter how you slide or NUV the second rows of the surfaces you are aligning to the flat surfaces, that G2 comb stays the same. If you look at a zebra plot, it doesnt look that bad. So the software really has a hard time to establish that G2 align because it doesnt know how to handle that flat surface.

Solution? You shouldnt use 100% flat surfaces.... GIve them a bit of crowning (just a little touch so it s not planar anymore, and that s it.

You should get a better result. Try, and see if it worked ok.

NOTES: I dont know why you have such construction setting, but some are tighter than CATIA V5. I think that s a overkill. You are using as well RATIONAL FLAGS. Dont use that for surfacing. It s another overkill.

Another note regarding your 2 pairs of curves you have aligned with G2: What you have is bad. That is a terrible alignment and not that smooth. It would work, but is just for you to know that those combs are bad dude.

Give me some feedback after you have tried. I m sure you can do it fine:)....Otherwise I ll help in what i can.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report