Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tutorial - MP3-player intersecting and trimming

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jms
Participant
1144 Views, 7 Replies

Tutorial - MP3-player intersecting and trimming

Hi, 

I am just starting out with Alias 2014 and doing the tutorials. Right now I am trying to make the MP3-player, but I get stuck in the section about: adding the control button. I am supposed to make to items intersect and afterwards trim them, but when I try to pick the draft surfaces and the revolved surfaces for intersecting nothing happens. Does anybody have any ideas about why that is? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ravenzep
in reply to: jms

Hi,

Can you please send the wire file with just the 2 surfaces you want to intersect?

I ll have a look if you can send it.

Regards

Message 3 of 8
jms
Participant
in reply to: ravenzep

Hi, 

Thank you but I am not sure how to send it? I can't upload it here. 

Message 4 of 8
ravenzep

Hi,

You can upload to sendspace, for example, or any other server of the same genre, and paste download link here.

Message 5 of 8
jms
Participant

Okay didn't think of that. Here is the link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/nfkx4y

Message 6 of 8
ravenzep

Hi,

I had a look at your problem.

Everything trims fine, if I understood where you want to trim.

I trimmed that part of surface that is overhanging. Here is what I did, maybe you didnt follow the right procedures for trimming.

Delete everything and just leave the surfaces visible. If u have curves on surface, delete them.

Select TRIM, and activate 3D trimming. Choose method to INTERSECTION.

Pick the surface you want to trim (the overhanging part), pick the surface you want to trim with (the vertical wall), and now click again on the surface you want to trim which will define the area you want to remove or keep.

So if you picked the overhanging part, you want to select DISCARD, and that little bit of the surface will be eliminated (Hidden, because it will always be there, you just dont see it).

I noticed too that you are using very lose construction options, similar to general cad settings. Sometimes this can give you problems because tolerances being lose, may not in many cases be enough for a trim operation or something else. So watch for that. CATIA V5 settings are tight to work with, and makes modelling harder, but it pays off in the end, and you ll achieve better quality surfaces.

Good luck

Message 7 of 8
jms
Participant

Okay. I tried it and it finally worked. Thank you!
Message 8 of 8
ravenzep

You are welcome 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report