Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolerance Problem Please help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
drew
313 Views, 3 Replies

Tolerance Problem Please help

I build and release in autostudio surface models at pro e tolerance settings. The problem I am having with the prototyping houses is they are setting up for mastercam in solidworks while our geometry stitches here perfectly and watertight - when brought into Rhino or sworks is showing major gaps in the surfaces.
Is there a way to correct this without rebuilding trimming etc all with the higher solidworks settings again?

THANK YOU
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
digiformer
in reply to: drew

hmm, when You check your model in Alias with higher tolerance settings and it shows gaps, then the gaps are there.
I build models usually on 0.002 mm position for ProE. But Rhino gives me trouble even when modeling on 0.0001mm.

Succsessfull stitching is not a sign for having a "watertight" model. Some Software packages (ProE) handle exported stitched data like volumes even if You loosen tolerance. But others do not.

Also stitching actually can change your geometry when stitching gappy geometry with loosened tolerances. I had this a few times.

And sometimes the model will be not closed even if you built it on zero tolerance in Alias. This must be something with calculating data between file formats.

I do not know of any easy way to "heal" the geometry. You have to model it within the requested tolerance.

If anyone knows more about it, news are highly appreciated 🙂

Greetings
Tobias
Message 3 of 4
tekbot

how are you transferring files? have you tried STEP? IGES kind of sucks.
for Pro-E, there is a plug-in on the pro-e site that allows Pro-e to open .wire files. you can open granite parts and assemblies in alias with the direct connect. (BTW make sure your using the latest DC www.autodesk.com/directconnect)

for solidworks, i would think that STEP is better.

for software related issues...
i use the "report a Problem" in the help menu when i come across these issues.
it takes you to a link where you can upload problematic files and images of the issue.

its really the only way to get it fixed if its software related.
Message 4 of 4
dfleury

With file transfer you have to find the process (workflow, settings and file format) which work best for you.

If your data end up being used in SolidWorks you might be better of starting with SolidWorks preset in the Construction Options rather than Proe. Actually when you compare both presets you will see that the default for SolidWorks are slightly tighter than for Proe.

My personal experience is with Alias and Proe integration. I use the default Proe settings but for Max Gap Between Curves set to 0.01mm (the default 1.0mm seems way too loose) and Topology Distance set to 0.04mm. I use Granite. Most often I export NURBS surfaces but at times stitched models go through better. It kinda depends on the models. Beware that stitched model can sometimes change in shape during transfer. This I never saw happening with NURBS surfaces export.

If you have to build your model to Proe tolerance but then take it to SolidWorks as well you might like to experiment with opening a file in SolidWorks that was exported from Proe instead of from Alias. Just a thought...

Edited by: Damien Fleury on Oct 4, 2008 9:37 AM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report