Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three curve surface

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
tudorima
2968 Views, 18 Replies

Three curve surface

Hello, I'm new alias, someone can help me which command I can use to close the curves with tangency between surfaces have created, do not get a good design.
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
JamieGilchrist
in reply to: tudorima

see the attached image.

best,  jamie.

hope this helps,

Jamie Gilchrist
Principal Experience Designer
Message 3 of 19
ravenzep

And why didnt you show him how to do that? You actually think he understood what you meant? Can you actually do it? I dont think u can that s why u wasted your time answering with text. And the text is not at all clear. How do u construct that surface that will be trimmed?
Bye
Message 4 of 19
JamieGilchrist

@tudorima,  can you share your file?

hope this helps,

Jamie Gilchrist
Principal Experience Designer
Message 5 of 19
ravenzep
in reply to: JamieGilchrist

Nice one.

Way to go 🙂 

Message 6 of 19
tudorima

Thank you for the reply, I share the file.

Message 7 of 19
ravenzep

I found a way to do it, but is a bit complex.... I am waiting for gilchrj to show is answer..... Maybe he can do it in a easier way. 

So, we are waiting for you gilchrj, in case you can do it the way you described.

Looking forward for your solution

Regards 

Message 8 of 19
karthick_241187

Hi,

I have tried something. Pls check it out.

Hope it will help u.

Thanks and Regard's
Karthick. P
Message 9 of 19
ravenzep
in reply to: karthick_241187

Wasnt it a lot better to post the wire file?

Anyway.... Nice try, but your surfaces look not good. Look at those kinks.... You can see where all boundaries are, just by looking. In Solidworks, this can be done with 2 or 3 mouse clicks....But surfaces arent as good as they claim it to be...In alias, this is quite hard to do well.

Good try mate.

Message 10 of 19
karthick_241187
in reply to: ravenzep

What i have shown is just an explanatory.

The parent surf is also responsible for those kinks ( I beleive so). But still i m sure i can make it neat.

The Parent surf. itself has kinks on it. If u watch his image u could see them.

I dont want to spend more time were as my motive was to post an idea to solve the issue.

II never tried solid works.

But, nothing is HARD in alias until we make things right.

Thanks and Regard's
Karthick. P
Message 11 of 19
ravenzep
in reply to: karthick_241187

Hi dude,

you didnt do it right, in case you didnt notice....LOL

And the only way to learn is really to do it right, and not stop halfway.

If you can do it right, why didnt you do it then? Can you actually do it a lot neater?

I understand it was only to show idea...fine..... But to make it right, and not half right, i would say is the direction to go .

The way you showed by the way, is not very good, and you will not make it right i think with that patch layout.

You see.... You have a square with right edges..... And that does not blend with the rest of the surface... does not flow correctly at all.

If you try a bit harder, I ll show you my way, which is a little bit more complex, i use one more surface or two, but it flows a lot better with that surface shape.

Regards 🙂 ..... Give it another try mate 🙂

Message 12 of 19
karthick_241187

K dude, u pls post your complex method ASAP. I am eager to see your way of approach. Hope I can learn from it.
Thanks and Regard's
Karthick. P
Message 13 of 19
Dua-Xiong

Sorry, if I'm late to the party...I just wanted to give this one a shot.

Please refer to the attached screen shots:

I had to re-construct every surface because the original ones were not usable;  the curves were not well shaped and the surfaces were much too complex.  The new surfaces are different of course, but I did try to keep to the original design as much as I had time for.  All surface boundaries are G2 Curvature continuous and all Isoparams are showing.

As someone pointed out earlier, all surfaces are four sided, however you can Trim them to create whatever shape you'd like.  The trick here is in the small Trimmed patch on the right side of the attached image.  A similar thing happens on the lower side.

Good luck!

Message 14 of 19
ravenzep

Are those spans, in the top radial piece?

Since you didnt provide the wire file (god knows why), we cant really see what u did too well.

I have a pretty good idea, but not sure about everything. How did u get that middle curve?

Anyway, thanks for joining the party mate.... Very nice solution. Looks clean:)

Regards 

Message 15 of 19
Dua-Xiong

>>  Are those spans, in the top radial piece?

Yes, degree 5 - 6 spans.  That surface started out with 2 spans like the surface below it, but the extra complexity was necessary for matching the trimmed patch on top.  It might be possible to make it a single span surface if I increase the degree and split the surfaces down the middle, but that would take more time.  I already spent a whole hour on this, so I don't really feel like investing any more time on it...but I'm reasonably sure it can be done.  The same goes for the under side.

>>  How did u get that middle curve?

I built it....?  I'm not sure what your question is.

Attached are a few more screen shots in case anyone is still unclear about what I did.

Message 16 of 19
ravenzep
in reply to: Dua-Xiong

Thanks for your time . Yeah, basically is the same solution i had made.

Cant really think of a better way of doing this.

Regards mate 

Message 17 of 19
KevinDeSmet

You see, spans are not evil. Everyone's all like "no spans no spans!" but that piece right there, is a blended transition that you will not very likely want to direct model. So it's ok! I guess the best advice I can give regarding spans is: if you plan to direct manipulate cv's afterwards, don't use spans, because they make the cv/hull unreadable and make direct modeling difficult afterwards.

Message 18 of 19
ravenzep
in reply to: KevinDeSmet

That could and should have been made with 1 span surfaces.

Of course it s harder, but perfectly possible.... And is the right way to do it using alias.

Anyway, most of us model for rendering purposes, etc.... So some spans will not hurt , that s fine. But in alias, spans are bad, regarding best sufacing practices. I always get pissed off if i cannot make things with 1 span all over....LOL, but if it is giving me a big headache, i wont spend precious time just for the sake of it if it looks good enough.

Anyway, every person has their own standards .

Message 19 of 19

Hi
I can help with the mistakes I made when making curves and surfaces, which would be the development for these surfaces.
You can attach the corrected design
thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report