Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch back to default ALIAS Image File Output Format

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
andreas.bergmann
1138 Views, 9 Replies

Switch back to default ALIAS Image File Output Format

Hello,

might be a simple question, how do I switch back to the default ALIAS Image File Output Format (.als / .pix) in Render Globals after I onced selected Tiff Format, this option isn't pickable any longer. Ist there a way around to edit preferences - besides changing back all settings to default?

Best regards, Andreas

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ravenzep
in reply to: andreas.bergmann

HI,

Looks like some bug to me... ???

Same happens here. After selecting tiff, that empty field which is supposed to be ALS/PIX default, is not pickable or visible anymore.

Anyway, I would always pick tiff, so....It s ok, for me of course.

If you find any workaround to revert it to the empry field, let us know, without restarting the application, of course.

Good luck

Message 3 of 10
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: ravenzep

Hello,

which version of Alias are you talking about?

As when opening Automotive 2014 and Auto Studio 2015, I have no empty filed in the output rollout.

See here my screenshot enclosed.

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 4 of 10
andreas.bergmann
in reply to: ravenzep

Maybe I found a way: edited "Design_user_options" by changing the line "(ui-symbol "ro_imageformat" 4)" to (ui-symbol "ro_imageformat" 1) and now the blank field appears again. Reason is, I'm still doing compositing with rendered images and the transparent mask with .tif format always creates jagged edges, changing the "composting rendering options" doesn't help here at all. With .pix/.als I retrieve smooth object edges again, and with the fcheck from maya (which is different from alias fcheck!) you can convert the .pix to .rgb and receive a perfect seperated alpha channel in psh. When you link alias to maya fcheck, this is like in old times.

Message 5 of 10

I'm talking about Alias 2014 and I think also 2015, default image format is ALIAS (see documentation!) but you usally change it to .tif and then you can't switch back.

Message 6 of 10

Crazy!

Its there also in version 2010. Almost a prehistoric issue ... 🙂

I never realized that. But if i use Alias Render i use the Direct Render Feature and therefore i never stumbled over this...

In version 2009 everything works like you would expect. Going back to Alias PIX is no problem.

Good idea to edit the config file. I fixed a lot of "inconveniences" by changing the settings in these files...

Regards..

Message 7 of 10
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: digiformer

Hello guys,

The Alias image format was deprecated several years ago.  If you run the new Alias versions with Default Prefs you will/should see only Tiff and Tiff16 as output options. 

The UI behavior you describe (blank radio box) is a bug and is likely caused by old preferences attempting to set a non-valid value (ie the .als format).

Best Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 8 of 10
digiformer
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

@ Coenen: why that? Does the renderer still produce pix and after the render task its converted into a tiff?

@ Bergmann: After the reset, is the renderer giving pix files again?

i render masks with just two lightsource shaders, a totally black and a totally white one. Worked pretty good so far. Hope its not deprecated yet.

Its a second render task to do, but it renders really fast and makes producing different masks pretty easy.

Besides that whith this shader solution you are free to use anti aliased hardware shade and the "export window" tool. Remember you can set the size even much bigger then your screen is. Consider using hardware anti aliasing if the edges ar not smooth enough.

That way you can produce a lot of different masks in almost no time.

Regards

Message 9 of 10

Hi digiformer,

need to test your way with two lightsource shaders, sounds great to me. After the reset the renderer produces .pix files again. I noticed by changing the last digit in (ui-symbol "ro_imageformat" 4) to 2 the renderer even produces .rgb format again. Hope they don't touch this, it will work for me now.

I admire hardware shading with anti alias wireframe lines and window export, but I often have mixed scenes with meshes and I don't get smooth lines and no ambient occlusion on the meshes, which is sad. And with more than 8 spot lights in a scene the hardware shading is suddenly darkening the whole image severly. Maybe due to my graphic card performance or a bug, no idea. But for anti aliased multipass renderings this might work, thanks.

Regards

Andreas

Message 10 of 10

Ah good to hear that about the pix format.

I did not mean to use the export window tool instead of the renderer/raytracer. But you can render your image and use the same camera window to produce masks via hardware shade (black&white). It fits on the rendered image. And since the shaders are lightsource you even should turn the lights off for mask producing. So you get clean white and full black areas.

By setting the background color to black or white (turn background on in hardware shading options) you can draw every single mask situation in a very short time. And you see the outcome immediately.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report