Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shelves question

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
frogger149
302 Views, 5 Replies

shelves question

How do I put Ambient Occlusion, which is in the Visualize workflow, into my Modeling workflow shelf? My modeling workflow shelf disappears when I go into the VIsualize workflow, so I can't drag it in. For the record, I HATE these workflows....there used to be just 1, and that was perfect...much more confusing now...
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cheungc
in reply to: frogger149

I personally just load up my default workflow and never use the others... But...

If you are all set up in your Modeling workflow and just need to add Ambient Occlusion in there, go into default or viz workflow... then you can drag the ambient occlusion tools and drop them into the Control Panel shelf or into some neutral place... I like the seldom-used Command Stepper (in Utilities) for this among other things (as the command stepper doesn't switch when workflows switch). Basically, you use it as an holding place... Once in there, you can switch back to Modeling workflow move the tools into your Modeling shelf.

BTW, the command stepper is also handy if you are loading in someone else's shelf and want to dissect it without destroying your own set up. I've used this to steal texture brushes from my favorite colleagues.

Hope this helps.

c. Edited by: cheungc on Sep 29, 2008 7:12 PM
Message 3 of 6
dfleury

Do not use Workflows if you do not like them. Stay in Default and you will always have access to all the tools (that is if you are not in Short Menu mode). And if you would like to use the Visualize functionality of the Control panel at times, access it via the pop-up menu located at the top of the Control Panel and switch it from Default to Visualize.
Message 4 of 6
digiformer

Hi there,

i had the same problem whith the Visualize Workflow.
It seemed that "pick template" and "pick cv" is not available anymore. It was gone off the palette.
In Visualize Mode i couldnt even copy it from the DefaultControlPanelShelve to somewhere else.

So far i solved the problem by copying the specific lines from the default Marking-Menu-scm into the scm for the Visualizing Marking Menu. But "dummy-scripting" wasnt exactly something the programmers wanted us to do...i guess...
But it works great...

I did not see the advantage of the workflow settings, too.
But since i customized them to my needs i am much faster. Amd You can switch between the workflows via hotkey or marking menu real quick. But i realy dont see, why there are tool restrictions. This makes it complicated.

Greetings
Tobias
Message 5 of 6
frogger149

thanks all!
I've been using Alias since '96, and for some reason, they keep tweaking things like this that make it more confusing...instead of putting resources into really important stuff, like a decent rendering engine...
Message 6 of 6
GregFowler

Ambient Occlusion actually 'lives' in the Render drop down menu at the top of the screen Menu>Render>Ambient Occlusion>Calculate... middle click/drag from there to whatever shelf you want.

As Damien mentioned... the default workflow with long menus has ALL the tools, the visualize and sketch workflows simply filter things OUT so you don't need to be in the visualize workflow to access visualize tools.

I work in Default workflow only, never touch the other ones... i do use the other Control Panels (sketch, visualize) but i just swap them, not the workflow.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report