Alias General Discussion

Active Contributor
sciguy77
Message 1 of 5 (166 Views)

Sheet metal?

166 Views, 4 Replies
02-09-2012 08:18 PM

So, my PC crashed and along with it went my copy of Autodesk Inventor. :smileysad:

For now I'm using my mac, which has Alias, but to be honest I've never used Alias before. Can I create a sheet metal design to be CNC cut? I just need to do a super simple sketch done. Is there a tutorial on using Alias for sheet metal cuts?

Thanks

Distinguished Contributor
donest
Message 2 of 5 (156 Views)

Re: Sheet metal?

02-15-2012 10:44 AM in reply to: sciguy77

You should be able to create designs using CV curves and/or Edit point curves. A lot of laser cutters can use a simple dxf file to cut metal. In Alias just export the file as a dxf.

Valued Mentor
ravenzep
Message 3 of 5 (143 Views)

02-20-2012 08:51 AM in reply to: donest

No, you can´t.

Alias is a surface modeller.

What you want to do is solid modelling, and alias doesnt work that way. Thank god.

Regards. 

Distinguished Contributor
donest
Message 4 of 5 (135 Views)

02-21-2012 08:25 AM in reply to: sciguy77

Hey ravenzip. I think you took his question to mean that he wanted to cnc a 3D model. I took it to mean he only wants to cut shapes from flat sheet metal. Many cnc programs will work from line art. For example, if you wanted to cut a star shape out of a flat sheet. There are laser cutters that will work directly from Illustrator files.

Valued Mentor
ravenzep
Message 5 of 5 (131 Views)

02-22-2012 04:35 AM in reply to: donest

Hi Donest, hope everything is cool with you:smileyhappy:

Sure, i know what you mean.

Sheet metal is a module of good solid modelers like Catia or NX, i dont know about Inventor because i dont use it at all.

It s a very weird program to me with all that apparent simplicity.

Anyway, Alias is not parameterized as such tools, that s what i wanted to make clear to him.

He can even cut sheet metal from 3ds max..... Maybe even from a sketch on a sheet of paper. LOL

But yes, you are absolutely right. 

Regards 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.