Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings again?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cobaltred
553 Views, 6 Replies

Settings again?

OK, I finally was able to save my colors after a long and frustrating ordeal now I have one file with one mesh object in the file and everytime I open the file the mesh settings in the control panel default to 0.00, I set the mesh under display>transparency>mesh to a value of 1 and have tried everything from saving the preferences to saving the options and still everytime I open the file the mesh settings default to 0.00 again,What gives?Also the same thing with the view cube home setting, When I get the view I want I then set the home view as the default and it works fine while I am working on the file but when I close the program and open the file again the home position defaults back to the original and throws the mesh object far away in fact so far away that I have to zoom with the mouse middle wheel to get the mesh object to cover a good part of the screen,and yes I know, look at will zoom the model to better fit the screen but that makes no sense to have to set my home position every time.Where is the settings for the control panel defaults as well as the settings for the view cube.Settings Settings Settings, WOW there has to be a better way than saving my colors separately, my tolerances separately, my shelfs separately

Thanks any insight would be very helpful.

Buddy.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: cobaltred

Of course there is. It s straight forward.

And your post is hard to understand.

What can't you save? All settings are savable.

Message 3 of 7
cobaltred

Alias automotive 2013 Win 7 64 bit. Sorry if the post is confusing I will try to explain:Basically, in a nutshell, I have a wire file that has one mesh object in it.By mesh object I mean a 3d scan of a woman's body available for download at artec scanner website but it could be any polygon mesh or scanned object.I own a 3d scanner 3d3 solutions and will be bringing in new 3d objects on a regular basis,and this is one workflow that Alias is well suited for.My problem is that when I open the wire file, the mesh transparency settings in the control panel default to a value of 0.00 which shows all of the wireframe of the mesh object and I do not want that because is is not very graphically pleasing to look at, I then have to manually set the mesh transparency setting in the control to a value of 1.00 in order for the mesh object to look good when you shade the model with the diagnostic shader or the hardware shader.

No problem now everything looks great, just how I want it.

So I save the file and have tried saving the preferences and options as well and close the program.

When I open the program again and open the wire file, the mesh transparency settings in the control panel go back to 0.00 and my settings did not stick.

The same is true right below the view cube where you can tell Alias to make the current view your home view.

Again the same problem I can get the perfect view I want and then invoke the set current view as home and everything works fine while I am working on the file,then I save and close.Then open the program and the file and none of my settings for home view stick.

Last but not least I lost some of my shelfs during a work session and No not because I did not know how to toggle

the shelfs on and off under windows>shelfs the toggle simply did not work. Under preferences workflow modeling I had no shelf but was fine under preferences workflow default?Ever enconter that?

Somehow I got them back now, and just make sure I saved them all in case it happens again, but very frustrating.

I am not having any problems modeling in Alias but getting my work environment to stay how I want it has been another story.

Thanks and I hope this is clear enough, sometimes it is difficult to explain things of this nature.

Buddy

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Ok, no problem man:)

I will have a look at it tonight, and let you know what i have found.

By the way, are you going to model a human body in nurbs?...or the model is to be used as reference for nurbs modelling?

I ll get back to you soon...... Take care!

Message 5 of 7
cobaltred
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for looking into it. I try to figure things out on my own first but sometimes many minds can make it a difference. I am not necessarily trying to create a nurbs body although that?would be?a perfectly legitimate project,but yes I will derive cross sections with the dynamic cross section tool in xyz and use those cross sections to generate clean single span curves and then surface patch's with continuity conditions in order to learn what I can about Class A modeling techniques that can then be applied to product design guitar building and modelmaking. I am a product designer a guitar builder and modelmaker for a living but I cannot say that I am an expert yet at the class A work flow (very difficult to find learning material that shows the whole work flow and explain things?completely but?in a more Lehman's way ) I have been using Rhino and Solidworks for years and also Mastercam.My real goal with all this stuff is to be able to sculpt out a product concept in say Zbrush then bring in the polygon model as a reference in Alias and come out with a class A parametric or solid model for manufacture and moldmakers. I want to marry the artistic and sculptural world with the engineering and manufacturing world as they compliment each other very nicely.I could also take the approach of carving out a product shape in the shop out of foam or clay then?3d scan?and model through Alias, you see where I am going here,I can also machine a polygon mesh directly from Zbrush into Mastercam but as you know polygon data has a certain amount of noise and many small triangles or quads but of course Alias surfaces are nice and smooth if you build them right. Thanks and what are your thought on ICEM? I think Alias is overall nicer even though I can appreciate the purest approach. Buddy
Message 6 of 7
cobaltred

Not sure how those question marks got in the last post just ignore them.

Buddy.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi there,

I had a quick look into it, and i couldnt really do what you are looking for.

Anyone it is not such a big issue.

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report