Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segmented Trimmed Surfaces

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
greeneaj87
541 Views, 3 Replies

Segmented Trimmed Surfaces

Hello all, still trying to make an inset in a railed surface.  Not having much luck.  Alias is presenting me with more problems than I can count... but here's one.

I created a few curves, used blend curves to join the corners, and projected them on a rail surface.  I used Trim> Trim Divide to remove the middle segment, and am attempting to use 'Skin 2012' to join the two back together.

However, the trim edge is segmented.  It seems every time I project a curve onto a surface, the resulting trim edge is segmented.  How do I join them so I can do basic operations such as Skin Surface or Rail surface on the resulting gap?

Thanks in advance!!Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 3.42.14 PM.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TheHangman
in reply to: greeneaj87

Hey greeneaj87

It happen due to tolerance, Avoid to cut a surface with COS, as due to the shape of the surface, when you project a curve on surface, the software tends to autofit the COS with this generating loads of edit point on COS and it give the unwished gaps. 

Assuming you just wanna get the things done. here is an workflow for you. Check the file in attachment and see if helps you achieve what I think you wanna.

Hope it helps, happy modelling

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
greeneaj87
in reply to: TheHangman

Thank you!  This worked great.

Unfortunately I still haven't been able to create my inset surface yet due to other problems.

I will post another question when I get time.  Your advice has helped a lot, though.

Message 4 of 4
TheHangman
in reply to: greeneaj87

Sounds good it helps!

whatever issue you may encounter feel free to post it around, always there someone here to assist others. 

Also,in case of your geometry you could post the .wire file so it can be better analysed and better tips can be provided

Happy modelling.

Cheers

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report