Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for insight on an ergonomic mouse

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
condeg01
2503 Views, 17 Replies

Searching for insight on an ergonomic mouse

I'm new to Alias and I'm having pain in my pointer finger.  It's time to switch my mouse and I'm wondering what you suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
dpotter4
in reply to: condeg01

Your best bet on this is to try a few and see what you like.  Personally as odd as this sounds I use an Apple Magic Mouse.  I also have a Logitech Performance Mouse MX and do not like it as much as I thought I would.  My main problem with the Performance MX is the middle mouse button and the actual performance of the mouse.  The middle button has to be pushed to the side slightly to be able to click and it becomes a real annoyance.  The spot to be able to click it is hard to find.  The other issue is that if I move the mouse slowly it also moves slowly.  What I mean is that if I move the mouse slow enough I might have physically traveled 6 inches and it barely moved the cursor, yet if you go quickly it zooms on the screen.  I have messed with the settings and do not seem to be able to find a solution.  Ergonomically the Performance MX is nice but if you can try them both in hand as well as operation I would highly suggest it.

Message 3 of 18
condeg01
in reply to: dpotter4

Thanks for the advice. 

Message 4 of 18
ravenzep

Here is my input.

It all comes down to personal preferences, and hand size really.

I have had both Logitech and Razer mice. Both are very good.

To my taste, the Razers are way more ergonomical, by miles, the best i have ever experienced. They are very precise too.

I own a Razer Naga, and I am very happy with  it.

Touch them before you buy them, and see what feels better to you.

Good luck, and share with  us the choice you  went for 🙂

Message 5 of 18
condeg01
in reply to: ravenzep

OK, thanks.  WIth so many options available getting input from members of this forum is helping to narrow my choice. 

All the best.

Message 6 of 18
dpotter4

How is the movement on the razor?

Message 7 of 18
ravenzep
in reply to: dpotter4

Very precise. I have it for over an year and it hasnt failed me yet.

One word of advice: I got the version that comes with 12 buttons.

If i knew what  i  know today, i would have bought the version that comes with 6 buttons. All those 12 buttons are a bit confusing....They work perfectly fine, but  ergonomically speaking it would be easier to use the 6 button version.

The mouse is pretty expensive, around 80 euros, but it is absolutely worth it.

Message 8 of 18
dpotter4

Which Naga did you try?  I don't know why but I thought you were talking about the R.A.T.  Has anyone had any experience with those?  

Message 9 of 18
condeg01

So, after the input of this forum, (and after spending some quality time at the local mouse counters), I ended up with a headache to go along with the pain in my arm and finger!  

A lot of the ergonomic models felt very comfortable but, in the end, I chose the Logitech Performance MX.  The buttons were very easy to actuate and, after reading endorsements from this forum and several reviews on Amazon, I decided to buy the one that seemed to have the most positive reviews.   

On the other hand, I do like the way the Microsoft Scuplt felt in my hand.  I didn't choose it because of how radically different it looked from all the others.  But, truth be told, it felt the most comfortable to me.  I didn't find the number of reviews I saw when investigating the Logitechs, though, and that made me wonder about it.  However, at a price of $39. USD, I may end up buying one in the future and alternating between the two.  Because the (3) button configuration of the Microsoft Sculpt is "typical", I believe it would be easy for me to alternate between them.  Unlike my current situation...

When I started having this pain I told our IT guy about it and he ordered an Ergonomic Mouse from 3M.  This is a "handshake" style mouse that looks more like a joystick.  I'd only heard of this style of mouse and never saw one in stores, but I have to tell you, it solved the problem I was having with my pointer finger,  - because there is no button for the pointer finger!  Instead there is a  R/LMB rocker that is actuated by the thumb and a button on the handle for the MMB.  The "eye" is on the base so otherwise it functions as a "typical" mouse.  

I like the fact that the "handshake" mouse has taken the strain off my pointer finger and repositions my arm.  The problem is, with such a different button layout, I find it hard to get things done quickly without thinking about it.  I've got both side by side at my desk and find alternating between the two is possible but not ideal.  Further, I began getting a pain in my thumb!  I may have used it too much at one time.  Or maybe it's just time to bring the old horse out to pasture.    

In any event, thank you all for your consideration and input.  I look forward to participating in the future.

All the best,

condeg01 

Message 10 of 18
donest

To me, in all the years that I have used Alias, there are only two things that I look for in a mouse. How it feels, and does it have 3 buttons (instead of having to use a scroll wheel for a button). I didn't want to get into programming a myriad of buttons to do certain functions. I believe Alias was designed to be used with a 3 button mouse. I use an HP 3 button, designed to be used with workstations. Very cheap. Small and ergonomic.

Message 11 of 18
condeg01
in reply to: donest

A (3) button mouse with no scroll...  That's interesting.  I do feel the pain when scrolling.  I'm trying to minimize that action.  Thank you.

I have been working fulltime with a mouse in my hand for almost 20 years.  According to my Dr., the human body is an amazing machine that is not necessarily designed for sitting prone for hours on end gripping a mouse.  (I may also be overdoing it trying to accelerate the learning curve.)  

Message 12 of 18
donest

This looks exactly like mine. I believe I had a Belkin that was almost identical.

Message 13 of 18
jdu268

Thank you for the post, all the comments help me to narrow my search for a ergonomic and accurate mouse to use with autodesk products for drafting. I do have a sculpt mouse, and it's very comfortable in a windows environment, but I´m searching to change it because is to small for me in a long time use for drawing and the plastic in the sides starts to "bubble" and degrade after almost 3 year of continuous use, time to change the mouse. I agree with  the comment that a standard 3 button is basic, I will try a Logitech or a Razer. And all your comments in the post help to narrow what I looking for.

Message 14 of 18
Fitnessfun

What about the 3M Ergonomic Mouse? It has a joystick-style grip that keeps your hand vertical and in a neutral position. I've been really happy with it. 

http://www.squidoo.com/best-ergonomic-mouse 

Message 15 of 18
minicute
in reply to: Fitnessfun

Take a look at the minicute EZMOUSE 2. I think you may find it amazing. i am using it myself. You can buy it from Qoo10

They ship to different countries. http://list.qoo10.sg/item/MINICUTE-EZMOUSE-2-ERGONOMIC-WIRELESS/424477885

These are german designed ergonomic mice.

EZmouse2 Wireless RH (1).JPG

Message 16 of 18
donest
in reply to: minicute

What a coincidence...the mouse and the new member have the same name!

Message 17 of 18
minicute
in reply to: donest

LOL. Not a coincidence. I am promoting my shop online.
Message 18 of 18
duaxiong
in reply to: minicute

Ha ha...if a bit devious.

Personally, I like light-weight optical wired mice with good button action and a proper three-button layout...no scroll wheel.  An ambidextrous design means I can easily switch to my left hand when not running Alias.

There aren't many options out there, but my unbiased recommendations:

HP DY651A

$12 direct from HP

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=403895#!tab=features

Or if you prefer something a bit more curvy:

"Logitech" M-S43

~$10, only from China

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.kixDNk&id=36195839783&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report