Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scale from to and snapping

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
cekuhnen
590 Views, 14 Replies

scale from to and snapping

so I have a bigger circle and would like to scale it till the far left vertex snaps to the far left vertex of the smaller curve.

In Rhino this is pretty simple

how would you do this in Alias?

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 10.44.27 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
digiformer
in reply to: cekuhnen

I would say it is not possible to do that in Alias with a snap functionality.

Regarding snap functionality the Rhino transform posibilities are much more developed than in Alias. Or lets say, there is no snap-scale functionality in Alias i know.

You would have to place a distance mesurement between the two points and scale it until the locator says 0.0000  ...

actually inexcusable.

Kind Regards

Message 3 of 15
cekuhnen
in reply to: digiformer

Sad Alias ....

thanks again for the clarification!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 15
digiformer

Hehe i knew this would come.

As i assume from your posts you are doing your first steps with Alias right now?

Get a bit more into it - which is also a standard comment, i know.

But when it comes to conceptual design modeling capabilities (keyword construction history) and visualisation, Alias is about 10 years ahead of Rhino - no lie.

But i agree, theres still a lot of things which could be more perfect...

Hope you do not lose interest too fast in learning Alias, theres sure is quite a way to go to handle this tool...

Kind regards

Message 5 of 15
cekuhnen

I am actually not new to Alias I did not use it in the past 2 years so I was curious or assumed / hoped they might have improved some of the rather basic tools.

No kidding Rhino is a blue print tool not usable for parametric modeling.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 15
digiformer

ha so i am glad i did keep the "alias defense speach" short :).

And ... uhm ...they didnt really work on basic problems in the last 2 years as i see it...but they improved interface and modeling features.

Kind Regards

Message 7 of 15
cekuhnen

The surfacing tools are pretty fantastic - for me I just wish in terms of drafting it would add more tools because for me I think this is a down side of Alias.

Kinda sad seeing to high end surfacing tools and some basic other tools like more complex snapping did not evolve in the past years.

But I rather have that than more drawing tools I can use like in Rhino but no design history.

At the end I want to be able to explore design ideas fast and Rhino does not allow me that at all.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Well, I have just done it, and it is very possible in alias, actually through a much more elegant tool.

And no, no snap stuff. I dont know what is the hype about rhino snaps....Alias virtually do it all and with much simplicity. If you dont have a snap just like rhino, think out of the box, and with the stuff alias has, improvise it. To finish the talking about rhino, because we are here to talk about alias, i can say this:

Rhino can be used to make drafting drawing with lines (house plans, etc), so is no wonder it has all those bunched up snap tools. Now if i was going to to make a house plan, i would use a professional software for that. My final view, is that rhino is good at nothing, and very average at everything. It s real strength is the price ONLY. I remember rhino V1 and it looks basically and like the latest one and does the same. If you wanna do solids in rhino, it sucks big time...It s really primitive, and concerning surfacing....Well, with things like alias and Icem...It cant even be compared, but then again, rhino costs 1 K while the others can cost 50 K. This is my personal opinion, anyway. Many people love rhino and that's great :). Surely a very smart tool.

Now, how can we do this in alias? :

EDIT CURVE/MODIFY/TRANSFORM CURVE. Chose option ROTATE&SCALE.

You can now place the 2 locators of the tool where u want...To place them where you want you can move them, and with CTL key pressed you can snap them to cv's curves etc. Then move the CVs to the place u wanna snap them with CTRL pressed again for snapping and voila.

I ll show a very small video to show it.

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/3972735/file.html

Have fun

Message 9 of 15
digiformer
in reply to: Anonymous

mate, this is AAAAAwesome ! 🙂

Thanx for the lesson! I will play around with this...

But for now, have a nice weekend...

Kind regards

Message 10 of 15
cekuhnen

Hey I am not saying Rhino is awesome - it is just cost effective and thats it - sadly. Fillets are very enjoyable in Rhino 😉

Thanks for the sketch scale reminder I totally forgot about it when I used in 2 years ago.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

You are welcome digi. Have fun mate 🙂

I m not too sure if you were being sarcastic or not Cekuhnen, but one thing that rhino has that is really bad are the fillets. They are really bad, as they are just tangent anyway, they r not expect to be that good. It even is clear in viewport window...they r not soft neither G2.

Make simple example in rhino and import in alias and analyze them.....You ll see 🙂

Message 12 of 15
cekuhnen

Of course was I sarcastic - Rhino is terrible at edge trimmings / fillets.

I use Rhino a lot to make DWG drawings for the CNC cutter and thats it.

For the rest in my opnion it is painful to use while easy to learn and without

decent fillets and parametrics I think it is a blue print modeler at best not more.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

LOL.....

Uffff that was scary for a second.

My bad 🙂

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Hi, Ravenzep.

Could you so please to upload the file again?

Thank you very much

Hydra

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

The transform curve tool doesnt work fine because it rotates at the same time that scales the curve. If you need to scale the curve with no rotation, you cant get a right solution. So, Alias doesnt provide a good tool for solving this question. You cannot make a non prop scale while snapping.

My workflow: Use non prop scale by hand without snap and move the curve very close to the target point, then, use transform curve tool with rotate&scale activated for snapping with minimum deviation.

Regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report