Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Marking menu items.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sahilchopra
317 Views, 5 Replies

Renaming Marking menu items.

How can I rename Marking menu items ? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
digiformer
in reply to: sahilchopra

hold ctrl key and doubble click icon...
Message 3 of 6
sahilchopra

Thanks, why does Alias automatically give an underscore if I leave a space. This happens in Layers as well ... any way to get rid of it ?
Message 4 of 6
tekbot

Little History Lesson that nobody should have to know.

back in the day, Alias was built on SGI IRIX. Unix does not allow name spaces in the naming convention. Its probably a legacy issue that still exist in the core.

also, you may have noticed if you name a layer or shader with a number first, it puts a "N" in front of it. ugh!

GEEZ... i think i just dated myself.
Message 5 of 6
sahilchopra

Hey Tekbot,

But the other default items in the marking menus have normal spacing between them like Blend points, Toggle grid etc. How did they get spacing between them ..

Stupid arguement actually.. just curious..
Message 6 of 6
cheungc

There is a way to manually edit the names inside of the actual scheme file, for those who are not afraid of cryptic text editing.

Find the .scm file for your marking menu... then open it up in a text editor. Won't be obvious, but if I can figure it out, then I assume most anyone can 😛 When you find the right names to replace... and (hint) it is easier to do if you make your names obvious (i.e. pick_nothing_replace_me), then it is a lot easier find in the scheme file. If you've gotten that far, then you can put in spaces that won't show up with _.

There is no way that I know of, from within the product, to edit without '_' to appear.

I'd suggest testing this out on a duplicate marking menu... or perhaps a workflow shelf that you don't really care about. No point in screwing up your marking menu set for the sake of experimentation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report