Alias General Discussion

Alias General Discussion

eng_Andy
Message 41 of 64 (349 Views)

Re: Project Falcon Technology Preview now available on Autodesk Labs

08-28-2012 05:19 AM in reply to: eng_Andy
It seems 'no' was an answer, but it's actually not so bad with 3D. The rotating dots/snake loading graphic was a bit disconcerting at first, when it went on and on for minutes or hours (I could only figure out that it wasn't freezing by using a simpler model). Some kind of %-loaded bar/text or similar, regardless of whether it counts up at a constant rate, might help reassure end users that the program hasn't locked up when trying to crunch numbers for a 3D simulation.
Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 42 of 64 (343 Views)

08-30-2012 04:08 PM in reply to: eng_Andy

I have posted an update that improves functionality and extends the technology preview to March 15, 2013.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
BrendanBennett
Message 43 of 64 (335 Views)

08-30-2012 09:49 PM in reply to: eng_Andy

This is fantastic news.  Thanks a lot Autodesk Labs; Falcon is a great tool.

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 44 of 64 (332 Views)

08-31-2012 07:42 AM in reply to: BrendanBennett

IMHO the new UI is sweet.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
klzsailing
Message 45 of 64 (313 Views)

09-03-2012 09:06 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Scott, must 3D objects have thickness? Is it possible to analyze 3D surfaces without thickness?

When I take de 3D+Drag option, it just skip entrance and return to standard 3D analysis.

Are there more detailed .pdf files about usage?

Any intention to the future for adding Lift analysis?

Thanks

johnfrater
Message 46 of 64 (293 Views)

09-05-2012 02:10 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

Hi Scott,

I have downloaded the latest but cannot get it to run on my machine...

John Frater

John Frater

HP Elitebook 8570W
nVidia Quadro K2000M
16Gb Ram
i7-3720

Drive it like you stole it.
Employee
hartogj
Message 47 of 64 (281 Views)

09-10-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: klzsailing

You should see flow move around 3D surfaces with no thickness. If you're not seeing it, I'm curious to know what the geometry looks like.

Not picturing what you described with the 3D+Drag and 3D analysis. Have you tried "thickening" the surfaces in CAD just to see if it makes a difference?

The basic help documentation is now built into Falcon, accessible through the"i" icon at the top of the screen.

Thanks for the feedback on lift. Lift is not part of this update but has been discussed.

Employee
hartogj
Message 48 of 64 (280 Views)

09-10-2012 08:49 AM in reply to: johnfrater

Hi John - your system is similar to many others that are running it successfully. Curious when you see the issue? Is it immediately on startup? Also, what is the name of the downloaded *.zip folder you used? Some very small tweaks were recently made so l'm curious if you have the latest.

klzsailing
Message 49 of 64 (274 Views)

09-10-2012 01:37 PM in reply to: eng_Andy

Hi Hartogj, thanks for your anser!. Surfaces without thikness work fine at first glance but, at least at the first minutes of work, I see exactly the same colours at the same places in both sides (windward and leeward) of the sails. That shouldn't be correct, as leeward face of sails should have a bigger (negative) pressure on the forward part than the same forward part at the windward side, where pressure should be positive and lower (in abolute value).

The poblem of 3D+Drag depends on how lucky I feel: sometimes, after some minutes of 3D common work, it do enters 3D+Drag without problem, sometimes it don't.

Another question: I'm working with .obj format in Meters and it works fine, but there's no way to check for sizes, an 8m lenght boat looks smaller than the default 5m lenght car, so there must be something bad in scale, but I can't check for dimensions into Falcon. A simple correction before importing the .obj file could solve the problem, but I can't measure into Falcon to know what scale factor should I use.

Unfortunately, the system don't allow to save a file together with his configurations, otherwise I could attach the file for checking.

johnfrater
Message 50 of 64 (267 Views)

09-10-2012 05:09 PM in reply to: eng_Andy

The folder name of the extracted files is ProjectFalcon5...

John Frater

HP Elitebook 8570W
nVidia Quadro K2000M
16Gb Ram
i7-3720

Drive it like you stole it.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.