Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem creating Square Surface-Alias Tutorial-2012

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gcross
546 Views, 5 Replies

Problem creating Square Surface-Alias Tutorial-2012

Just teaching myself Alias using the Alias WikiHelp tutorials & got to a road block on adding a square surface to 4 edges.

When I try to select a certain edge I get the following prompt:

Consecutive curves must intersect -- minimum separation is (cm) 0.000344359.

See screen shots attachments.

I have no idea how to remedy the problem at the level I'm at. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Here's alink to the tutorial where I'm at:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Alias/enu/2012/Help/0109-Tutorial109/0110-Learning110/0114-Part_4%3a_11...

I think something must have gone wrong at the Part 3:Trim the Back Surfaces section.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Alias/enu/2012/Help/0109-Tutorial109/0110-Learning110/0113-Part_3%3a_11...

My wire file is in Customer Files  under same header.

Gary

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
gcross
in reply to: gcross

Oops, there apparently is no Customer Files newsgroup.

The file is attached.

Thanks!

Gary

Message 3 of 6
ravenzep

It means your curves are not touching at some end, thus not making a closed shape.

Zoom in and and see where the problem is.

As an advice, dont build surfaces from trimmed edges. You ll get yourself into serious problems.

Message 4 of 6
gcross

Ravenzep,

I was hoping there could be a suggestion or two on how I might tackle fixing the problem assuming the ends are not touching properly.

Remember that this is an Autodesk tutorial I'm working on so I would assume there is some merit to this methodology for creating surfaces using trimmed edges...but what do I know.

If this is not the way to do it, could you perhaps suggest what is? Thanks.

Gary

Message 5 of 6
ravenzep

Hello gary,

Well, let me be honest and clarify one thing:

The alias tuts you see are the way they are to explain very simple concepts, and that s it.

Now, they all are a piece of crap and are really very bad, regarding how you should surface things properly.

It does not mean they are good just because they are made by alias.... Really they are primary school concepts.

If you snap the end CVs of each curve they will form a closed boundsry.... So there is your solution.

But since you are using curves on surfaces, and trims , etc, i bet you have gaps and breaks at several places, that you will spot if you zoom closely on them.

If you keep having problems and are stuck at the tutorials, just send me a message through here, and i will help you.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 6
ravenzep
in reply to: ravenzep

I sent you a Message here.

Go check it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report