Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Edit>Offset not cutting curve loops

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
greeneaj87
497 Views, 2 Replies

Object Edit>Offset not cutting curve loops

hey all!  new to alias and trying to figure out basic modelling techniques with the help of videos, and this forum.  you guys have been very helpful so far!  but i'm stumped on many things.. this is one of those things.

Object Edit>Offset does not trim the loops that are resulting from offsetting the shape I'm working with.  Any suggestions?  Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2014-10-26 at 8.02.13 PM.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TheHangman
in reply to: greeneaj87

Hi greeneaj87

By looking at your geometry, I notice that you are using a Circle geometry manipulated. So, it has loads of edit point or curve spams, which assist the curve to have a nice circle shape. Rule for life, For Class-A modelling spam is not good at all.

However, once you deform the circle, the fillets reach some very tiny segments and when you offset it, mathematically speaking 80mm is just impossible for definition of your geometry. Which lead to have a butterfly effect.

So, I would suggest you to build your curves and surfaces separatly, first I would build only the main curves and add an Aligned curve or surface later or either a less recommended Blend Curve or Blend Surface.

Hope it helps, please refer to the images

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
ravenzep
in reply to: TheHangman

I alway s avoid this problem by thinking about it before I touch anything.

Instead of doing outside curve and offset inwards......I do the inner curve and offset outwards, which always work.

In situations where this rule can be applied...It is foul proof. Always.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums