Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mismatched Tangents in horizontal/vertical shaders

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mattpub
520 Views, 10 Replies

Mismatched Tangents in horizontal/vertical shaders

Hello Alias Community,

I am originally a 3ds max user and enjoy modeling objecs with splines, only in 3D max, the control over the surface is very poor and we often end up with very bad shading. I discovered that we could transforme the splines in nurbs and then import them in Autodesk Alias.

In Autodesk Alias I then end up with a bunch of splines, which I hard so hard to actually modelize using Alias. I then try to create surfaces from the lines, I presume the logical method is to use, in the surface palette, the Square and N-Side tool. The probleem is that I end up with really bad surafce matching, particularly on surfaces created with the N-Side tool. My guess is that I am simply not using the right tools. What would you do ?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ravenzep
in reply to: mattpub

What you want is not to use alias. It is a different animal for you.

You want to use maya, that will do precisely what you wanted to do with max, with total control over your curves and your surface output.

Blows Max away.

Message 3 of 11
mattpub
in reply to: ravenzep

I am currently in 2nd year of product design studies and next year, I want to specialize in Digital Design and there is a very strong emphasis put on Catia and alias, so naturally I was drawn to Alias to solve my problem. I will check out Maya which I do not know at all, so I will need time to explore it a little and keep you posted.

Thank you ◠ ‿ ◠

Message 4 of 11
TheHangman

Hi mattpub

Maybe it is just the case for you to explore further options on chosen tool.

Looking at your model it may be the case that you may just align the surfaces with continuities and tangencies as you wish. I can say Square is pretty decent tool, but N-side not so much in my opinion. You may try Rail tools.

Also, Maya is not intended for engineering as Alias, CATIA, SW, Inventor and so on, May be used but what I saw so far from Autodesk Maya goes toward M&E, games and animation.

Hope it helps,

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
ravenzep
in reply to: TheHangman

I only mentioned Maya, because he used 3ds Max, which is in the same kind of field, polygons. And is awesome, very powerful.

And yes, Maya is used in auto industry, for organic shape exploration, etc. Mercedes uses it for example.

And no, Alias is not an engineering tool. Catia is, yes :).....

Message 6 of 11
TheHangman

Alias is not engineering tool REALLY????

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
ravenzep

REALLY  !

I am an egineer. Iknow what I am saying, rather than stating things that i read on the web, which is full of misinformation, by the way.

Alias is a Design tool, and used by designers. Full stop. Are you calling a designer an engineer?

In 20 years, i never saw an alias software in any engineering company, be it in England, Germany, etc etc.

All have Catia and nothing else, basically for engineering design.

What engineering can you do with Alias? Are you serious? You cant even take accurate measurements from alias, it s a design tool.

And is not even used for final surfaces. Icem is. Alias is a conceptual tool, excellent for design concepts, and that's it.

You are very confused. Maybe you are a expert elite in 3ds max, and those toy things.

Message 8 of 11
TheHangman

Yep! Very confused, 3D max and Maya are awesome and very powerful or it is a toy thing?

Offence by offence I think you are very narrow mind. Sounds like you only think about Auto industry, anything out automotive industry is not engineering or it is wrong? Please differ me from being bossing but I have notice that you vanguard Dassault, it’s perhaps the case that you should assist them other than Alias 😉 Also be kind and save the irrelevant argument of yours.

Let’s contribute and assist Alias users.

Message 9 of 11
duaxiong

Alias is not an engineering tool, at least not in the traditional sense.

It is primarily a design (styling and concepting) tool, but I don't see any reason why it cannot be used for final surfacing in the same way that Icem is.

Message 10 of 11
mattpub
in reply to: duaxiong

ok, lets get back to the point guys.

Maya was a relevant solution, however, I do not know how to use it, the only knowledge I have from it, I learnd from Alias, there are some similarities.

I basically ended up with surface problems, again. The main problem remained the part of the surface with only 3 curves, however, I did have a few problemes with surfaces that just weren't connecting properly, the surface weren't always smoothed between them.

I had also tried bi-rail, it seemed more reliable, but I still did not get a clean surface. I understand what is so complex about class-A surfacing now.

Somehow the forum does not allow us to post a wire file, even rar doesn't work. How would you post your alias file on this forum ?

Message 11 of 11
duaxiong

If you're looking for continuity, Maya will not give it to you more easily than Alias unless you're building it in polygons.

In a nutshell:  Use Birail or Square for most everything; Skin or Revolve where appropriate, and Align where any of those tools will not give you the continuity you're looking for.

The N-sided tool is sometimes okay for three-sided patches that are relatively flat, but not for the corner that you're trying to build.  The trick there is to turn that three-sided into a four-sided and then use Square or Birail on it and Align if necessary...reference attached.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report