Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light leaking through surfaces

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
deltac88
372 Views, 7 Replies

Light leaking through surfaces

Hi everyone,

I've tried for the past hours to resolve this problem but with no success. I turn to this forum in hopes of finding a solution!

I have a closed box for example made up of 6 skins for surfaces, but once I put a light inside, to project light out of the holes I made on the top side surface, there is light leaking from the corners of the box, along with strange shadowing on the actual skin!

The surfaces are aligned, they are not transparent. What do I do? Do you suggest I use a certain type of light to create my desired lighting effect?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
anand_joshi
in reply to: deltac88

Can you post any image here if its not too private ?
Regards

Anand
Message 3 of 8
deltac88

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5281/render1em3.jpg

Circled in red you can see the problems.

Light leaking through, and darkness in areas where there are surfaces inside the green shapes.
Message 4 of 8
anand_joshi

Global Quality level for rendering is set to High ?

Ensure that you have high settings in Render Globals.
Regards

Anand
Message 5 of 8
deltac88

doesn't change anything. even when set to high, there is light leakage, and also shadows/dark areas being created onto the outside surfaces.
Message 6 of 8
digiformer

hmm the picture looks like You use an ambient light. Ambient lights have the nature to make dark spots when they come close to surfaces.

First some stupid questions, but these points have to be cleared out:

Are you using raytracer? Raycaster will not render correct shadows but generate a shadow map to kind of guess the shadows.

Did You turn on shadows of the lights?

If You just need light points, You might try to fill the holes and put a lightsource shader on the filling surfaces. Then you lighten Your scene as you want. If you put a glow on the lightsource shader, it will give a luminous effect.

If you want to put "real" light out of this holes, you need to do a little more work which i cant explain in a few minutes...

hope this helps a little

Greetings

Message 7 of 8
anand_joshi

In addition to digiformer's post, can you post here your scene to have a look ? would be much easier for folks out here to suggest something ...
Regards

Anand
Message 8 of 8
digiformer

any solutions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report