Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing a 3 Dimensional curve in Inventor Pro 2010 - 2014

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
524 Views, 3 Replies

Importing a 3 Dimensional curve in Inventor Pro 2010 - 2014

Hello, quick yes or no question, I was wondering if I can use "import points" for importing points of a 3 Dimensional parametric curve into Inventor, and then spline them to get a graph. Reson for this is I would like to sweep a circle along that path, and it will explain the curve of a wire after the sweep. This wire needs to specifically follow the path of the curve in order for a design to work. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Avery 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TheHangman
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi greentexas21

Simple answer is NO. 

Explained answer, you may create a curve into Alias and export to inventor as IGES option convert to curve and open it on Assembly and you will see the curve from Alias but other than this way Inventor show the curve data. 

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: TheHangman

Well, it is possible by using your imagination. There isnt a tool for it, but very possible.

You can put points anywhere along a curve in alias.

If when exported, the points dont appear in Inventor... no problem....Make simple degree 1 lines, starting at those pointsin alias.Then u ll know in inventor the starting points of the lines are the points u need to snap to, or whatever.

More imagination can be used with curve section tool.

U can insert points at arc lengths as u wish...Splittig the curve at these arcpoints....

When imported into inventor...U ll have your reference poonts from the little curve segments.....

And it goes on......etc etc....

Message 4 of 4
TheHangman
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Greentexas21

I just review your case, and I tried to provide you an solution previously but I didn't succeed. I initially used Inventor 2012 and it failed, As I mentioned previously it opened the file but nothing came up to screen. So, maybe due to software compatibility as I did build the curves from Alias 2015 and send it to Inventor 2012, it didn't work.

However, just now at home I have both 2015, I have created a curves as you can see in attachment and the IGES curves works. Please refer the img in attachment for the settings that I used. 

Feel free to create any type of geometry in Alias and send to Inventor, it should work as far it is the same version.  

Hope it clarifies

Happy Modelling.

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report