Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How toget G2 at a surface edge?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
webeber
773 Views, 7 Replies

How toget G2 at a surface edge?

hello,

i'am trying to get G2 at one edge of a standard surface fillet.

Normally the fillet work's well instead of the upper edge.

What setting i have to change to get G2 at this point?

there is a attached pic below

regards

bertram

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ravenzep
in reply to: webeber

Your picture is confusing.....looks like the surface to which those combs are G2 continuous are not there... the surface you are showing seem to be not continuous.....Maybe is the perspective.....

Anyway,if that thing i see there is a fillet, it has spans. That s not good generally, and it means you didnt use the explicit control. Well, try using explicit control and set degree to 5 or 6.... Many many times you are left out with a bit that is not G2....

The software cannot do magic this time, and cannot give u the solution u want. Normal.

Use bezier surfaces option... then tweak manually the surface CV s where it didnt achieve G2, in order to achieve it.

That would be a standard procedure .

Dont expect the software to give you G2 everytime you hit the button.... Especially in the cases where you are asking for G2 in all 4 boundaries of a surface.... It will never do it for you.

Dont be afraid..... Put some curvature combs on those locators and tweak the cv s till it looks fine.

Dont get hooked up on getting G2 everywhere..... It shouldnt be an obcession, and G1 will be very fine for many situations. I bet you are not going to manufacture it, and to a tolerance of 0.001 mm. Think about what the tolerance settings mean.... 0.001 mm...to make a render?.... Is that necessary? always?

Hope I clarified some of your questions......and i hope i understood your question.

Good luck man ! 

P.S. Try a blend surface there..... maybe you ll get a better result regarding G2. 

Message 3 of 8
webeber
in reply to: ravenzep

thanks ravenzep,

i'am still a bloddy beginner!

I've only a alias design license, so i cant use explizit control, maybe ask my boss for upgrade, think would be better in many chases!

Ok, i will try it with adjust CV's manually, or go down to G1

Regards

Bertram

Message 4 of 8
ravenzep

You are welcome, no problem.

Yes, your boss should give you a license of Alias Surface. That s what you need mate.

Good luck! 

Message 5 of 8
webeber

Hello, iam still working on this surfaces.

Now i have the next problem.

I've tryed to make a freeform blend. First many spans, then try to align the yellow marked edge manually, by transform cv-tool.

I thought, i could move the hulls near the edge to get a tangent align.#

I try to adjust by "nuv" and "slide the hole hull, but no effect?

If i creat a square surface, and then align it to those trimmed edges, i get also a lot of spans.

are there better solutions or ways to go?

B.

Message 6 of 8
ravenzep

Hello,

Since you cannot make bezier surfaces.... The typical way to go about this kind of problem is to split the surface into 2 smaller surfaces. Then it will be easier for the software to compute what you want. Did you try ALign by projection?...u should get G0 at least easy.

Send me the file if you want me to have a look at it .... I ll send u a message here with my email.

Message 7 of 8
webeber

Hello ravenzep,

i've attached the wire file below.

Originally, theis bad surface was a blend, an then a square aligned. I have turned on the curve combs.

In a trial video, i have seen that you kann move single cv's to eliminate this aplitudes shown on the red edge, but in my design version, it will not really work.

regards

maybe you have an advice for this

thanks

Message 8 of 8
ravenzep

OK man... Thanks for the file.

I will try to fix it this afternoon when i get back home.

Laters :).... I ll post it today

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report