Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve this fender?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
masterupv
1029 Views, 3 Replies

How to solve this fender?

Hello all.

I am wondering about how this fender is solved. I have tried to achieve it in this particular way without success. As you can see in the attached image, the part trimmed (hull active) matchs accurately with the wheelarch in every view. I know that there are another options for sorting this kind of surfaces, avoiding trimed ones, but I am wondered about how this particular fender have been achieved. Is it possible to build the untrimmed surface, and deform it with lattice rig for changing its original shape to match de final target (wheelarch)? Another options?

Thank you very much in advance.

Tony

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: masterupv

Why not using the patch layout like shown in the pic I attached?

You only need G0 continuity at wheel arches, so it s easy to build.

The way you are trying to do it, is of course possible, but it involves a lot more work done beforehand.

By tweaking the hull like you did, it s not the right way to achieve G0, and I doubt you can achieve it.... Plus, your hull looks really bad.

Let me know how you are doing..... And I ll help you more, if I can.

Good luck

Message 3 of 4
masterupv
in reply to: ravenzep

Hi, Ravenzep.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I agree with you that the patch layout you are proposing me is the right way, and I know how to achieve this. However, I really would like to know how could I achieve a similar solution in the way I am asking for. Just with a 5 side patch that means you need to trim the surface.

The model is not mine. I have downloaded from the net, and I was trying to understand how the modeler has achieved it.

It seems that the modeler have built a four side patch, and, with a tricky system, he has got to deform it for matching the wheelarch. But, how has he done?

May be I dont explain it very well, but I hope you understand me. Sorry for my english.

Regards

Tony

Message 4 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: masterupv

OK. I perfectly understand, because i have thought before, like you are doing right now.

This technique is used sometimes, because it can have advantages, depending on some designs, because it  produces the best possible CV flow. Much better than the easier solution i proposed.

Check your inbox.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums