Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic card for alias

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1466 Views, 4 Replies

Graphic card for alias

Hi!

Well, im going to get a new laptop and I have a doubt about the graphic cards i should look for, does the Nvidia GTX 860m (or even 850m) work fine? somebody knows about it?

I know the recommended cards are Nvidia Quadro but there is a quite big price difference, what do you guys think? anyone any experience with quadro and GTX cards?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TheHangman
in reply to: Anonymous

HI albizudesign

These GPU GT and GTX are gaming base device, I honestly never tried one of those with multiple monitors. I can't tell you what the performance will be. 

But, Thats is not problem, you may get a warning from Alias expressing that your graphic card is not certified. By all means, its not the most recommended GPU for Alias, and it should do the job. Back in the days I had a GeForce GT 750 and it run Alias well. 

Hope it helps, Happy modelling.

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
varun.nambiar.94

I'm using Alias on a GT755m with no issues. I only started a few months back so most of my stuff is basic but I haven't run into anything yet. You'll get a warning every time you run Alias but there's a checkbox by which you can disable it
Message 4 of 5
BarryZA
in reply to: varun.nambiar.94

I am using an Nvidia GT730 with no problems. We have had some lengthy discussions about this on the Inventor forum. So you can try Googling graphics cards Inventor if you want.

What it comes down to (for Inventor and I am sure for Alias too) is that ever since the switch to Direct X was made the gaming cards work perfectly. They are identical in hardware to the Quadro cards, but apparently the Quadro cards are optimised for the bi-directional lighting CAD environment or some BS like that!

I have used a GT 520, a quadro 1gig and now my GT 730 for probably 100's of hours in Inventor and all 3 cards worked great. I would say (begrudgingly) that the 1 gig Quaddro ran maybe 10% better than the 1gig 520. But my 2gig GT730 runs Inventor, Showcase and Alias much better than the 1 gig Quaddro did.

Check out this link that shows how the cheaper gaming cards outperform the workstation cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-7.html

Message 5 of 5
ankishu2000

Those cards should run fine, I'm running on a 2GB Geforce GT 750M GDDR5 and it works well even with 20,000+ surfs.

I would recommend you disable wireframe anti-aliasing (which is enabled by default on newer versions of Alias) if you have heavy models.

Between those 2 cards I'd go with the one which has a higher amount of video memory, the higher the memory the heavier your models can be.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report