Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap between revolved surfaces

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
email.james
548 Views, 9 Replies

Gap between revolved surfaces

Hi,

I am making a car rim and having a small problem when using the revolve tool. As you can see from the attached photo there is a small gap between the inner and outer surface of the rim. The pivot point is set at abs 0 for all revolves and the rim was created using dupliacte object and rotate. The lines were joined using ctrl and alt and then dragging to the end of the first surface.

Does anyone know what I have done wrong and why the gap is there? 

Many thanks.

James

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ravenzep
in reply to: email.james

I think i know what is your problem.

Send the WIRE file please of that part, and i will send it back to you fixed, with the explanation.

Message 3 of 10
email.james
in reply to: ravenzep

That would be great! HOw can I send you the wire? It wont let me attach it to a message and when I zip it it says the file is too big (its 3.5MB).

The 'hub surface' layer contains the middle surfaces and 'front face surface' layer is the other surface.

It also wont let me trim one of the spoke surfaces and I'm not sure why? Could you also have a quick look at that?

Thanks for the help!

James
Message 4 of 10
ravenzep

Sure, no problem.

You can upload to SENDSPACE, for example, or some other site of your choice.

After, just paste here the download link. Easy 🙂

Message 5 of 10
email.james

Message 6 of 10
ravenzep

Cool. I will have a look at it.

I sent you a message by the way . 🙂

Message 7 of 10
ravenzep

OK. I had a look at the hub surfaces.

You did not build it too well, in my opinion. Plus you dont need any trimmed surface for the outer part.

The outer part of the hub should be built from the edge of the inner part. You would have better geometry this way.

Another thing i noticed, is that you are using very loose construction settings. It wont help either.

You should use CATIA V5 construction settings.

This would improve in the trimming problems you mentioned too, because the tolerances are a lot tighter.

Hope you uderstood. If not, come back here, np.

Message 8 of 10
email.james

I am struggling to understand the reason behind the edges not lining up? Why is it not built very well / how could I improve it?

More importantly though how am I going to trim the surface beween the one spoke? I dont understand why it wont work but all the other surfaces worked fine.

Thanks for your help.

James

Message 9 of 10
email.james

In fact, I have managed to fix the issue now with the surface trimming. I had to manually choose each inner to trim rather than keep the whole back surface. If that makes sense.. 

Still confused as to why there is a gap between front hub surfaces and main front surface.

Message 10 of 10
ravenzep

I dont have a f**** clue on what you might have done.....LOL

Maybe you cocked up at the workflow at some stage, not too sure.

There isnt much that can go wrong on what u are trying to do.

Anyway, glad it worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report