Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Differences Between Trim and Trim Divide?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MikahB
894 Views, 10 Replies

Functional Differences Between Trim and Trim Divide?

I've had a few examples lately when I have a surface that will refuse to trim despite all my indicators being "green."  Sometimes I can extend COS here and there and stumble onto something that will successfully trim, but other times it just will not trim as it should.  Since all indicators are green, I have no idea where to look for the problem so it's just trial-and-error.

But, every time I run into that, I'm able to - without changing anything else - successfully use Trim > Divide and it works like a charm.  So, my question is what's different between Trim > Discard/Keep and Trim > Divide that lets the same COS work on one and not the other?

I tried to export a surface and it's associated COS that demonstrates this issue - but the exported piece trims just fine.  Go figure.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ravenzep
in reply to: MikahB

Hi,

Are you using CATIA V5 tolerance settings?

If not, try the failed trim with Catia V5 tolerances.

Message 3 of 11
MikahB
in reply to: ravenzep

Sorry - should have included that: yes, I am using Catia V5 tolerances at all times.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 4 of 11
MikahB

Upon further review of your suggestion, ravenzep - I had actually selected CATIA V5_CORE_HPP as my construction preset.  Seems the COS/Trim limits are 0.001mm on everything.

I switched it to regular old CATIA V5 which has 0.100mm for trim tolerance and viola - seems like everything trims as expected now!  So, did I have my construction settings down at the lower limit of what the software can even think about?  That would explain why I see green dots all the time but no trimming.  May also explain why I so often had successful trims that seemingly changed their mind and decided to fail later down the line.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 5 of 11
MikahB

Seems my excitement was premature.  Though all of the trims that I could not previously make work DO work now, one that I never had trouble with before simply will not trim regardless of my construction settings.  The piece towards the back will trim off okay, but I cannot get the front strip to separate from the middle strip no matter what I do.

The only "good" news is that I exported the surface and even as a standalone wire file, it doesn't work and I can't seem to make it work even forcing it to Trim > Divide.  Can anyone else let me know if it trims for them?  I'm trying to keep the middle strip of the 3.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 6 of 11
ravenzep

There is no problem at all with the trim. Trims just fine.

Go to your trim options, and make sure you have PROJECTION activated, and not INTERSECTION.

In Vector Options, chose NORMAL.

It should trim without any problem.

Message 7 of 11
ravenzep

I just noticed the left side doesnt trim... Do this:

Go to object edit and chose extend with extrapolate on and merge on. Click each end of the COS and extend. You will see the manipulator moving, but  the cos doesnt go past the edge of surface.

After you have extended both sides, try triming now.

WORKS !

Message 8 of 11
MikahB

@ravenzep wrote:

There is no problem at all with the trim. Trims just fine.

Go to your trim options, and make sure you have PROJECTION activated, and not INTERSECTION.

In Vector Options, chose NORMAL.

It should trim without any problem.

Thanks for writing back.  I had NOT been using 3D Trimming, but at your suggestion turned it back on and set it as you suggest.  See attached pictures - I get exactly the same result, no trimming.  Any other thoughts?

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 9 of 11
MikahB

Great - the only downside to that method is that my construction history gets broken and that front trim is a looooooong fillet that I'd like to keep intact.  I had tried Extending those COS, but not with Merge selected.

For now, I've just duplicated the whole surface, used your suggestion to trim the copy, and will keep plugging away.  Thank you so much!!

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 10 of 11
ravenzep

You are welcome.

For such simple kind of trim, there should be no problem to trim.

Maybe you did some little mistake upstream that went unnoticed, and is causing this weird problems.

Good luck.

Message 11 of 11
MikahB

Possible - even likely - that I did something wrong upstream, but even with no Construction History left it didn't want to work.  The COS in question was generated by a Surface Fillet operation that shows Tangent continuity for the whole length.

I dunno - my main takeaway is your technique of not just extending COS past the edge (which I do fairly regularly) but doing it with Merge on - didn't think that would make the difference, but in this case that's the magic bullet!

Just glad I'm back to making progress again!

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report