Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet Surface

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
karthick_241187
3976 Views, 5 Replies

Fillet Surface

HI

I had upload a wire file and a image describing my doubt, pls check it out and upload me the issue solved file

and explain me how u solved the issue.

Guys its very urgent

Pls help me

Thnks in advance for u r reply

Regards

Karthick. P

Thanks and Regard's
Karthick. P
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Here is one solution.

Using the surface fillet tool, create the orange fillets first, then the yellow.

Message 3 of 6

HI,

Thank u very much for u r reply.

I have few doubts in surface filleting.

1. Why you  used Chord in construction type and Tangent length in Chord type option instead of using radius
  2. Hope u have untrimmed all surfaces and did filleting, is that is the procedure we should follow for filleting.
  3. Generally i used to fillet in trimmed surface.  (I m learning Alias on my own and ofcourse from people like u)
  4. Pls tell me is there any proper way to do fillet or any procedure in proffesional filleting.

Thanks once again

Regards

Karthick. P

Thanks and Regard's
Karthick. P
Message 4 of 6

Hey Karthick,

1. Using chord vs radius, in a situation where the angle between the two surfaces remain the same, will make no difference. It will make a difference when the angle of the 2 surfaces changes from one end to the other, for instance. The tangent lines for the chord version will remain more parallel, the radius versions tangent lines will taper together as the angle between the 2 surfaces increases. So i could have used either in this case.

2. I originally used your surfaces as they were but after making the fillets, I ended up untrimming your surfaces and deleting many of the extra trim curves and then retrimming. So the fillets ran long and I trimmed them back to your surfaces.

3. Yes, using the fillet on trimmed surfaces is usually best but often times things get untrimmed and, because of the history making adjustments, the fillets rebuild themselves to the untrimmed surfaces.

4. Everything works best if you can figure out the correct order in which to do things, but there will often be situations where you need to do one thing and then go back to do something else. So often the history can work against you in these situations. Sometimes there is no way to avoid these issues.

Good luck, and let me know if you want more detail on the differences between the fillet types, or anything else.

John

Message 5 of 6
BullockG
in reply to: karthick_241187

Hi Karthic

I modelled the fillet solution for you & then saw that John had beaten me to it!

Really nice modelling John!

All I want to add is that when learning to become a good Alias modeller, it is important to realize the need to keep your modelling clean.

So as a bit of general advice to all the students reading this, whenever you try to intersect surfs. or create a  fillet and it fails on you, you must backtrack and do some house keeping.

Failed procedures often create a build up of COS, which add massively to the computation that Alias must perform in effecting a task and at times render it impossible.

Duplicated, spurious or broken COS are a no no! You must delete them if you get into this habit your work flow and confidence will grow.

Cheers

Graham

Hope that helps!

Graham Bullock
Message 6 of 6

Hi John,

Thanks for u r continous support.

I tried out your filleting procedure and it worked perfectly.

Thanks once again for u r reply.

Regard's

Karthick. P

Thanks and Regard's
Karthick. P

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report