Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create symmetric surfaces

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
webeber
1040 Views, 2 Replies

Create symmetric surfaces

How can i make a perfekt symmetric Surface?

Build a half side linework first.

This steps i've done

First i've create a straight curve in Y-Direction. Then  another Curve with the wanted curvature. Then aligned this curve onto the straight curve in Y-Direction with curvature

Then square tool and build the left side and symmetry on the surface layer.

But the Result looks preety bad ?

Are there better ways to to this?

Regards

Bertram

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ravenzep
in reply to: webeber

Yes, there are better ways.

Here is a simple and fast one:

Build one surface, obviously across from one axis. Go to object editor/align/symmetry plane align.

Now when you mirror that surface it will be symmetric. Instead, you can toggle symmetry ON, on that layer to which the surface belongs.

NOTE that before you apply the symmetry command, you have to  make sure that the layer where that surface is, has the symmetry plane aligned correctly. This is done by going to menu Layers/Symmetry/SET Plane.

If you used symmetry ON on the layer, instead of mirroring manually, you can now convert the symmetry pseudo geometry to real geometry, by going again to layers menu, and under symmetry tab, chose create geometry.

Now i m sure you can make symetric surfaces as you wanted. 

Good Luck..... And read the manual.

Message 3 of 3
digiformer
in reply to: webeber

I use this way, too.

However, there is another way called symmetric modeling. This means your surfaces cross the symmetry axis and all the changes you do on one half are automaticly applied to the other half. Though i feel like the symmetry-plane-way is more fail-save and gives you more control.

After all, if you group your half-model surfaces and stitch it with having the group node picked and symmetry on, Alias creates a symmetric shell. This means you do not have to copy the surfaces to the other side. Sometimes the grouping results in history problems.

regards and good luck...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report