Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create file step with alias

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
giuligheza
459 Views, 3 Replies

Create file step with alias

Hi there, I need to create a 3d model in alias and then save it as a file STEP.. The file STEP is gonna be used for the prototyping, thus I am wondering if there are some tolerance or some parameters which I have to use in order to make a correct file.. Any tips? Thank you very much in advance!! And have a goooood day!! Giul
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: giuligheza

Hi,

When you export to STEP in alias, you can see from the options it offers, that there is no tolerance stuff. You have some parameters there to fiddle with, and that will dictated by what is downstream.....Generally i dont touch them.

Since STEP is a more widely format used than IGES when dealing with solids, i am assuming that s the case.

Anyway, what you can do before you export, is to shell stich your model, just to ensure you have a WATERTIGHT model. You will find that in the EDIT SURFACE tools. Here is where you can play around with the tolerances you need. Tick the use construction options option, which will be dependent on what is set in your options. MAximum Gap Distance, is what governs your tolerance when you are stitching. If you turn it off, will be presented with a slider to chose whatever value you need as a tolerance, independently of what is set in the construction options.

You can also Export as STL straight out of alias....Do as you require.

Hope this helped a little.

Good luck

Message 3 of 4
giuligheza
in reply to: ravenzep

Hi,

Thank you very much!! You were absolutely helpful!!

I will try to play with the stuff you mentioned! But Get ready cause I will likely need you again!! Ehehehe!!

Thanks a lot!

Giul

Inviato da iPhone
Message 4 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: giuligheza

Ciao,

You are welcome. If i know how to help, I will.

No probs mate 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report