Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change input curves for boundary surface tool ...

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cekuhnen
712 Views, 8 Replies

change input curves for boundary surface tool ...

imagine a 3d product with different profile ideas and you would like to preview the result of a surface tool like the 4 sided edge boundary tool by selecting different sets of input curves.

is that possible in Alias? It is in SolidThinking.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ravenzep
in reply to: cekuhnen

Hi there,

I hope i have understood your question.

Long time ago, if i remember correctly, what you are asking for could be done. The curves were explicitly shown on the command interface. I think.

With latest redesigned alias, by looking at the interface, I dont think you can do it. You cannot replace one curve by another curve.

You will have to pick again 4 curves, and u can compare with previously made square.

I get your point, but I wouldn't say is a major bog down not being able to do that.

Regards.

Message 3 of 9
cekuhnen
in reply to: ravenzep

Thank you for the answer - that is what I thought.

SolidThinking looks today very attractive because it can like with solid modelers such as SolidWorks adjust the input curves for surface commands.

Too bad this is not possible with Alias.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 4 of 9
ravenzep

Yes, it s beyond me why we can´t. Should be a trivial thing, i agree.

Mind you, alias is a totally different animal than solidthinking.

Have fun 🙂

Message 5 of 9
cekuhnen

why do you think alias and solidthinking are so different? under the hood they are surface modelers with a design history unlike solid modelers.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 6 of 9
ravenzep

Totally different. Alias surfaces have a lot more quality, and demand a lot of knowledge from the user.

Let s say, both programs are supposed to work in different ways.

I would not say solidthinking would be the ideal tool for class A surfacing, and Alias really is tailored for that in mind in a way.

I find solidthinking and rhino, great tools, but there s no way you can produce the same surface quality as in alias. Been there done that.

You can ask also, why is it that virtually all manufacturers use the same tools? Alias, Icem and Catia. And that s it, really. Some use also Siemens NX, which i particularly like a lot more over catia. Different tools, for different purposes.

If we are talking car design (surfacing), nothing comes close to Alias and Icem.

Anyway, only my personal opinion. There you go !

Message 7 of 9
cekuhnen

I just wanted to make sure - I agree while actually ST with the recent versions got many more improvements specifically regarding surface curvature controls.

I feel Alias is much more focused onto transportation design while ST seems more consumer product.

I am very curious about how well the sub-D to NURBS tool is. I like combining both modeling approaches together if applicable.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 9
ravenzep

Hi,

Yes, i agree with you that ST is more consumer oriented, but alias could do very well too in that same market.

Regarding the "new" paradigm of sub-d to nurbs modelling, i can tell you my experience on it.

I have tried it on PRO ENG, Catia, Solidworks and Siemens NX. As expected they are all very similar and do very much the same thing.

Regarding this technology I would say it is rather smart, and works OK-ish.... It s good for fast concept work, for sure, and to evaluate shapes fast with the advantage of allowing further nurbs tools work on it. But it  sounds better than it really is, personally i think so. For shapes like a water tap or faucet, for example, is a good tool...for car design, i woulnt use it myself.

Anyway, it s pretty cool to play around with it. Was a nice step forward which i hope will be developped further soon. We ll see where it gets ?

Regards

Message 9 of 9
cekuhnen

Your experience is similar to the one I have. The problem is how the math code converts the sub-d mesh into NURBS patches. patch edge point density was always an issue and I think might remain an issue.

But I found it quite usable for certain shapes without the need to rebuild them later with NURBS again.

Currently I explore Fusion 360 which has the T-Spline team on board and few of our models seemed very sufficient. But I must also say I build the work in sub-D more often how I would work with NURBS.

With the next update they stated that they might push degree 5 surfaces when converting ts to NURBS so I am curious.

I never much had the chance to learn or work with Catia SW or NX.

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report