Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Control Issues + Other newbie problems

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
varun.nambiar.94
298 Views, 3 Replies

Camera Control Issues + Other newbie problems

I'm learning Alias on my own, and the lack of tutorials online is hampering my progress a little. I'm doing alright for the most part though!

1. How do you control the camera? 

For instance, some times, I accidentally press Ctrl + Alt + Click on one of my Curves, and then the camera orientation pivots around that point. How do I disable that?

2. Occasionally, my camera just screws up entirely for some reason, and then I get this strange green arrow (http://i.imgur.com/t44NYEJ.png). If I delete that, my perspective window goes blank and I can't seem to fix it. How do I reset my view so it shows everything in perspective view?

3. Every time I open up alias, my Diagnostic Shading window gets covered by the control panel (http://i.imgur.com/UkniOsT.jpg). I have to keep resizing it. Is there a way to permenently resize it? This happened before, and I had to delete my preferences folder, but is there an easier way? 

4. Last question, I'm trying to create a square surface on here. I can't seem to click on the 4th curve though (http://i.imgur.com/Pm5XYeq.png) (RED SQUARE). The whole thing gets deselected and the surface isn't created. Any way to get around this?

Sorry for so many questions, but it's not easy to work with this without help. I'd really appreciate any help I can get! 🙂

Also, for small problems like this, is there some place I can get help from instead of creating a whole new thread? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: varun.nambiar.94

Hi and welcome,

1- When you do that, you are not changing camera orientation, you are changing the pivot about which camera will move/rotate/scale.

I use it all the time, and it is precious. If u do the same on a surface, same behaviour. It just determines the pivot for tumbling. WHen u dont want to change camera views, you can either lock the cam, or urse camera bookmarks. Check the manual.

2- Again, there is nothing wrong. That arrow is a infinite light, that appears automatically the 1st time u SHADE. To turn it invisible on viewport, go to WINDOW DISPLAY / SHOW, and click the little square tto show you the options and untick LIGHTS. They will still be there working as they should, and just not visible.

3 - Before you close Alias, go to PREFERENCES, and save your user preferences. Next time u open alias, it will open in that last state saved layout. I have that closed all the time anyway. When i need to use it, i have a shortcut for it or go to OBJECT DISPLAY/Diagnostic Shading.

4 - Make sure each end point of all 4 curves is well snapped to the another curve end, or lies exactly on part of a curve. It s not building the square because there must be gaps. Zoom in really close and u ll find the gap. It should show a arrow when there is a problem. I ve never seen that square in 20 years, or i dont remember what tha heck that is.... You are not using latest version of alias, apparently., which of course is fine....Same stuff with minor differences.

It s perfectly fine to ask anything you need. We are here to help and you are welcome.

Maybe you could answer yourself some of them, if you had read the basics in the manual. ( That was a HINT ).

Have fun

Message 3 of 4
varun.nambiar.94
in reply to: ravenzep

Thank you so much for your help! 

I'll try using the camera options to get the hang of it eventually. As for the surface, yeah, I think there was a problem with incorrectly snapping the points. Not exactly sure but I fixed it.

I'm using Alias 2014 (the Student edition) and the red square was just the selection area. I took the screenshot in that state to make it easier to understand the problem.

I'll definitely peruse through the other questions and see if I can help out. This is just my first month of using Alias and I hardly know much except for the basics.

Thanks again for the quick response, this is the second time you're helping me out! Thought I'd share my progress. I've probably made tons of rookie mistakes! Been working on this for the past 12 hours today, haha. http://imgur.com/a/koWvB 

Cheers

Message 4 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: varun.nambiar.94

HI there.

It's fine, and I ll help you as many times as you need, if I know how to.

You have a hard journey ahead of you....Fasten your seatbelt, and go for it 🙂

Have fun, and we ll all be here to help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report