Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automotive Specific: How do I differentiate different panels?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
varun.nambiar.94
707 Views, 7 Replies

Automotive Specific: How do I differentiate different panels?

Hello, Alias Community!

I've sort of got a hang of how to work with Alias, but I have no idea how to differentiate different body parts for rendering.

http://imgur.com/a/m2g2w

In the first image, the headlights are clearly marked differently whereas the one in my model (second image), it seems like one solid block. 

Is there a simple way to add creases or something or do I have to remodel each part again?

For reference, this is what my car looks like now > http://i.imgur.com/ZGry2qm.jpg

But without being able to seperate the doors, lights, any other panels with the rest of the body, it still looks pretty ugly. 

Also, is Alias usually used to model car interiors? I tried putting in seats but it's an absolute nightmare. Would something like Maya be more helpful for that?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi varun.nambiar.94

What I can tell you, check out the image of the actual car and add the details accordingly. try to analyse where the panels start and end, and notice split lines in between two panels

Also, I recommend, when you build a car model try to get a nice blueprint so that you can match as close as possible every single detail. In the end that’s what makes the beauty of car.

Another principle for render, try to keep every part of the model separated in different layers and assign different materials also help. Depending on the case obviously. E.g.: separate by layers the front fenders, doors, Rear Fenders, head lamp, tail lamps, seats, Dashboard and so on. I have attached images sample for your review.

Again, you may design just anything within Alias, for your interior may be the case that you may model it in separate and add it later to the overall design, even theres not need.

Hope it helps, happy modelling.

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8

Isn't there some sort of groove tool or something which I can use to get the different edges? For instance, how did you get that groove? (the one I marked in green)

I do use blueprints and tons of reference images when I work. And I sort each part in layers, if that's what you mean. Like I said, I got most of the car modeled accurately, except for these edges. 

Is it possible for you to share you wire files? I'm learning Alias on my own, and there aren't too many tutorials online for it. This would help me immensely!

Message 4 of 8
duaxiong
in reply to: varun.nambiar.94

@varun.nambiar.94 wrote:

Is there a simple way to add creases or something or do I have to remodel each part again?

Also, is Alias usually used to model car interiors?

There are tools for doing all of that...but none are simple.

Message 5 of 8

Hey varun.nambiar.94 

Sure it does, look into Pallet > Surfaces > Fillet Flange Tools, then use the most suitable for your need.

The way I build that particullar bit, I initially applied part line and rebuild whenever appropriated with Square and Rails to eliminate spans.

I am, sharing in private a file model for your reference. Please check your inbox.

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
TheHangman
in reply to: TheHangman

Hi

Ammending the information and as per your pv message I have put together a simple model with fillet flanges.

Please chech this out and hope it make sense. also about your query, its hard to align curvature about trimmed surface

its better to build them as it goes all along. 

Message 7 of 8
TheHangman
in reply to: TheHangman

Message 8 of 8

That did it! I think that's exactly what I was looking for!

I just tried it on my vehicle's model, and you're right - it's not perfect when I trimmed the surface, so I'll have to do it as I'm building it up. I'll make sure to do it right on my next one 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report