Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Assistance Program

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
442 Views, 2 Replies

Autodesk Assistance Program

I've only just learned of this, but my situation is a little unusual, and I'm not sure if I qualify (if this is the wrong forum for this question I apologize). If anyone out there can answer my question I'd really appreciate it.

In the late 90s I took a course in 3d Studio Max that helped me put together a demo reel good enough to land me an entry-level position in the video game industry. I worked there for three years but was never assigned tasks beyond entry-level. When the company want under and let everyone go, I quickly realized that I did not have the skills to compete for the jobs out there. Subsequently I ended up falling back on other, less interesting skills.

Two years ago, I started messing around with Max again (albeit an out-of-date version), trying to teach myself the areas where my skills really lacked. About a year ago I showed a friend of mine/ex-coworker a human head I modeled and she offered to pay me 2000 dollars (contract work) to model and texture map three characters for an iPhone game she was/is working on. I jumped at the opportunity to get back into the industry. Since then I've done some other things for her, but I haven't been paid anymore--essentially agreeing to do occasional work in order to gain experience and something to put on my resume and demo reel. The idea is that I'll get paid another 2700 if the game ever ships, but that is looking extremely unlikely at this point.

My skill level in many areas especially animation and rigging are really found lacking. My question is this: Am I considered employed even though all the work I've done in the last year is 3 character models for 2000 dollars, and haven't been paid anything for six months? Not to whip out the violins but this opportunity Autodesk is offering is like a dream come true and could change my life and that of my family's drastically. I'm a stay-home dad (unemployed), trying to get back to the only career I ever enjoyed.

I appreciate your time.

Edited by: LivingTriskele on Apr 25, 2010 10:53 PM Edited by: LivingTriskele on Apr 25, 2010 10:55 PM
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You would qualify...
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Dennis, that's the best news I've heard all year (maybe longer).

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report