Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias Sweep Controls??

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
precisionart
333 Views, 2 Replies

Alias Sweep Controls??

I currently only have experience using Modo. Can i achieve the following with Alias in regard to sweeping a profile along a curve?

1. Transition from one profile to another e.g. circle to square like this: Circle-to-square.JPG
  2. Control the rotation (twist) between profiles with a function/control curve, like in the image below (Spline Extruder Cinema 4D plugin):Sweep-Controls.JPG
  3. Control the transition from one profile to another with a function curve (Above image) - non-linear falloff along the curve
  4. Ready for 3d print – cleanest possible model
  5. A way to create a good render (ideally just convert to poly and export to Modo). 
Any help would be great!!

Thanks, 
Mike
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
duaxiong
in reply to: precisionart

There is no easy way to do what you're asking, but there are a few tools that may work.

1.  Probably not from a circle to a square with proper sharp corners, but if you use Set Key Shape you might be able to go from a circle to an oval or whatever shape, as long as the number of CVs on the two target shapes match.  You can get a very square-like shape if you use enough CVs and stack them in the corners.  This along with Set Motion along the path and an Anim Sweep to generate the surface would get you there.

2.  Because we are using animation to deform the section and generate the surface, you can use the animation curves in the Action Window to control this.

3.  Same as #2.

4.  If you Stitch the model before tesselating, the polygons will line up along the surface boundaries and it should be fine.

5.  Same as #4.

Message 3 of 3
TheHangman
in reply to: precisionart

Hey

Just as duaxiong mentioned there is not a easy way to do this sweep. by all means just click click and boo ya!. 

But it is possible, please refer to the image and see my approach.

The cake receipt.

Created a Rational Circle, which gives me 4 curves forming a circle. Just as in the image.

Than the opposite shape Square, I used a Plane surface, But could be created by curves.

Added 2 guide curves  which can control my shape and I build the first Surface (Square Tool) and the sides used Mono-Rails, and another Square.

Hope it helps, happy modelling.

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyhappy:

If this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution". Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report