Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias Studio 2010, windows 7 64 bit issues - advice request.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1299 Views, 7 Replies

Alias Studio 2010, windows 7 64 bit issues - advice request.

Hello All,

I am running Alias Design Studio within Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition on a Dell T5500 workstation (10gb ram, xeon quad core and a nvidia quadro fx1800) and I'm having some running issues and I was wondering if anyone could help me to work out what it might be.

I'll explain the issue, it's occasional which makes it harder to isolate, it usually happens when a large amount of surface geometry is on screen, Alias will start to run slowly and jerkily, and when I try to use either the marking menus or the top menus they take a while to display, when they do display and I choose save the store process takes much longer than when it's running happily. It will happen usually once a session although at times more.

Is it some kind of memory issue, has anyone come across it before? Any tips for speeding Alias up?

Any help appreciated,

Jami.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jakiii
in reply to: Anonymous

I've had similar problems when I set the Undo levels too high. If you have changed the Undo levels from defaults, try lowering them in General Preferences.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you for your response however I have not altered my Undo levels.

It seems to be memory related, I won't happen until I have a large amount of data on screen but it'll be running fine and then suddenly freeze and run very very slowly, marking menus take ages to appear and the main menu also takes a long time to appear. Saving a file which normally takes seconds will take minutes.

The Memory manager I have on my sidebar shows I'm using half of my system memory and in the region of 50% of my cpu whilst this is happening and the task manager shows Alias is using 2.5gb or ram. Any thoughts as to what might be happening?

Part of the problem might be that the file itself has a imported step file within it as a template, Is there a good way of still having it available for reference but setting it so it's brought in from elsewhere rather than being saved with the wire file? as the wire is now around 300mb.

Any help apprieciated.

Jami.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I have found a way of reducing the file size quite significantly now, The step file I had imported for reference was huge and causing serious memory usage and the most likely cause of the problems. I selected the entire step model and converted the nurbs to a mesh, this reduced the file size from 300mb to 16mb, quite a saving. I thought as Alias was a nurbs package it would be happier with a surface model, I was wrong, presumably if I import mesh files such as an STL in future I shouldn't have the same memory issues.

Kind Regards,

Jami.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Hello Jami,

I saw your post title and knew you could help me with a big issue I'm having:
I installed Alias Design in my new Dell Studio Laptop with Windows 7 64-bit, but when I try to open the application it runs forever and does not respond and I'm unable to open the program. I saw on the Autodesk webpage in the system requirements section that they do not include Windows 7 platform but then saw your post and I'm wondering how did you make it work for Windows 7? did you installed a patch or something?

Thank you,
Israel
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Hi Jami, when your system jerk, are you using HDR images in Alias ?

Ben
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

hi Jami,
if you're using the imported STEP file purely as a reference file use the reference manager. this will translate your STEP data to a very lightweight tessellated file you can toggle on and off as you need. This will keep you Alias file relatively light.

File>Reference Manager...
in the Reference Manager Window go File>translate, pick your Step File
Once the Translation is done Still in Ref Mgr Window go File>Import select your new .wref file and voila.

Hope this helps, Jamie.
Message 8 of 8
digiformer

Since Alias 2009 i recognized problems when there is dubble geometry in the files. Sounds funny, but there are a few funny things in Alias anyhow. So when you have i.e. a cube and a second cube at the same position Alias viewing performance rapidly slows down. This happens easily when you stitch a heavy peace of geometry and the shell then lays at the same position as the surfaces you used...

On the other hand heavy geometry packages have allwas slowed down Alias.

This might also be related to the actual GPU-Power, the processsor that calculates your grafix...but i dont know about that...

You can speed it up by decreasing the quality at the slider in the Control Panel...helps a lot...

...i use XPP 32bit and 64bit...would be interesting if anyone else also experienced the copy-slowdown...

regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report