Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding curvature continuity to an INVENTOR part with the help of ALIAS

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mas10349
278 Views, 1 Reply

adding curvature continuity to an INVENTOR part with the help of ALIAS

Hi there,

I built a 3D freeform part in inventor 2015 by carving out certain areas "manually". The result is that the body doesn't have a curvature continuity and looks quite "improvised". Now I was wondering if it was possible to import the part file in ALIAS to add curvature continuity to the model. By now I have now experience in ALIAS. Could you suggest me any tutorials or tell me which functions do I have to know in order to give a better appearence to my part?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: mas10349

Hi,

If possible, could you post here the part? That would help.

Anyway, i see 2 scenarios:

1- You import  the part in alias from inventor and work on it with alias tools. I can forecast a problem here: the surfaces will have many spans, and that will make it hard to work with. But you can try, why not. It could work. OBJECT EDIT/ALIGN tools.

2- You import the part and reverse engineer it in alias, rebuilding the surfaces. Which takes some knowledge.Basically, you would be remodelling the whole thing based on your inventor data as a guide. Yes, extra work. Unfortunately there is no magic button 🙂

Without seeing the part, is rather hard to say which would the best approach be.

There are not a lot of tutorials on Alias, but the manual online has good tuts to get u started.Check the technical surfacing tut. That will give u an idea about reverse engineering modeling.

Note:

It depends on what you are modelling and its purpose, regarding the surface quality. G1, G2, etc. If you are modeling a cast part, like an engine block, or something of the kind, you dont really need great surface quality, and perfect G2 fillets, in many areas, so inventor is a good tool for that.

On the other hand, if you are building surfaces, that will be seen, like in a car, you need to pay attention to surface quality, and that would make alias the ideal tool for it, not inventor. Hope I made sense, and you probably knew it anyway....Just making sure.

Inventor and Alias, work in totally different ways. You have probably discovered it already.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report