Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welding Vertices That Lay On Top of Eachother

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
QuasiLoci
419 Views, 4 Replies

Welding Vertices That Lay On Top of Eachother

I'm going to keep the questions coming...Wake up this forum a bit 🙂

In T-Splines for Rhino, you can window select both vertices and the hit weld...

I can't seem to find how to do this in SpeedForm?  If I box select the vertices, it only shows as 1 selected in the Weld Vertices pop-up menu (Even though I know there are 2).

Merge edge is not a great solution in this particular case because the loop I am trying to complete is complex...I am unable to select both loops properly using the automatic selection methods.  Choosing all edges manually would take forever.

It would be easy enough to box select all of the doubled up vertices and re-weld.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Michael-GG
in reply to: QuasiLoci

Hi,

weld edge works fine for me? When region selecting, the mode is automatically set to "Weld to tolerance". If only two vertices are selected, it works immediately for me. If more vertices are region selected, and it doesn't work straight away, it should just be a question of tolerance:

weld-1.png

When setting the tolerance to the right value, it works fine for me:

weld-2.png

Can you try this, and let me know if it works for you?

If not, please post an image, and let me know which version of Speedform you are using exactly (see about box).

Thanks,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Manager Quality Assurance Automotive
Message 3 of 5
QuasiLoci
in reply to: Michael-GG

Thanks GG,

My problem is when the vertices are directly on top of eachother [No gap as shown in your first pic].

If I box select where I know I have two verts on top of each other in vert mode, The edit form box pops up and shows two verts are selected.  See first image attached.

If I try to select these same two verts in weld mode, it will only select one vert [See second attached image].

In the simple examples (yours and mine), I could hide one body, select the edge.  Hide that body, and show the other...select that edge and use merge edge.  This is decently time consuming even in this simple case.

Now, if the geometry in question is complex, it can be time consuming the select the correct edges alone [If you are trying to grab the edges of an opening only, the loop select grabs edges in the closed area as well].

This is why it would be nice to be able to box select the two verts in weld mode as opposed to edge merge.  I used this all of the time in t-spines for Rhino.  Particularly when I am copying a body and trying to re-weld in [So verts will be on top of eachother]

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Message 4 of 5
Michael-GG
in reply to: QuasiLoci

Got it! Thanks for reporting, that should of course definitely work with region select!

I'm not saying it's a good workaround, but it may be faster than the one you wrote: let's say the surfaces where the points are on top of each other are horizontally aligned, one on the left, one on the right. You can single select both points if you carefully move once from the left to the two points, until one is shown in the pre-selection highlight, then click to select. Then do the same from the right (moving carefully to the points until selection highlight appears, then select). It seems that the selection radius is slightly bigger for the point from where you are coming from the inside of the surface.

Again, of course not an acceptable workaround, this should be fixed!

Thanks,

GG

Michael G.-G.
Manager Quality Assurance Automotive
Message 5 of 5
QuasiLoci
in reply to: Michael-GG

No prob, thanks for the quick response.

I'll try your suggested method as well, and I look forward to a fix eventually.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report