Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to do monorail using attached curves as a rail?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mumblefluff
567 Views, 5 Replies

Is it possible to do monorail using attached curves as a rail?

I'm trying to do monorail using 1 generation curve and 1 rail curve. Rail curve is 3 curves attached to one, it seems this is why it doesn't work, is there a way to make it work? Or rails must be natural singe curves without exception?

Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mumblefluff

They must be a single curve.

For ClassA modelling this is just how it is.

For sketch modelling you can join them and create a Multi-Span curve.

Message 3 of 6
mumblefluff
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks like turning on rail rebuild in monorail settings at least made it work, just makes bad geometry with a lot of spans.

Can someone tell me am I doing this in a right way? I'm practicing and I'm trying to model back of a tablet computer. I'm using monorail and modeling 1 quarter of the back first. To model that quarter I'm using 4 generation curves (just copied and put in place), it takes 3 separate monorail actions (monorail with 2 gen. curves) to make it. After that I mirror 2 times to make it full and not just 1 quarter. Is this way normal? It takes quite a bit of time but I guess quality takes time.

Tags (2)
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

I think you could do the whole quater of the back panel with 4 surfaces. One main, two blends and one corner surface.

Or - you could do it with 7 surfaces. If you want more control on the edge - you intersect the rim and the main and add a fillet.  

As long as the basic shape is square - it's pretty smooth sailing. 🙂

Message 5 of 6
mumblefluff
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm assuming you mean with 4 surfaces including base planar. I'm adding planar after mirroring, so without it it's only 3 surfaces per quarter as I understand. 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Yup - two blends and a corner square.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report