Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Control in Rail hangs PC

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
408 Views, 7 Replies

Explicit Control in Rail hangs PC

Hi!

I'm using Alias AutoStudio 2016 since a little over a year. It had been working fine in it's own Alias way until a few days ago; the system hangs whenever I create a Rail surface (mono or bi) and turn on 'explicit control'.

Strangely, Alias does not crash; it stays running while trying to enable the option. Also, the mouse cursor can be moved across the screen, albeit very slowly.

The only way out of this is to power off the PC or to press the restart button. It also does not Msave in this case so I do lose all of my work.

The only option I have been exercising is building the squares.

Kindly suggest a solution.

Running Alias AutoStudio 2016 with SP2, Windows 7, Intel i7 4771, 16 GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro 2000.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried waiting to see if it is thinking something over? Are diagnostics turned on?

Message 3 of 8
duaxiong
in reply to: Anonymous

The first thing I would try is to rename your Alias Prefs and restart Alias to create defaults.

If this does not fix it then the cause is likely something in your file;  try to copy/paste your data into a new file...or some variation of import/export to get your surfaces into a new, clean file.

If you have access to another machine, you can also try to open it there to eliminate problems in your file.

If that still does not fix it, then I would go looking into software conflicts or driver issues.

Message 4 of 8

Hi 

I am using Alias 2018 as well as 2019 and the issue is same with both of them. So I am back with another problem for you to solve 🙂 . This issue just cropped up today and whenever I am using the rail command and switching on explicit control, the program hangs. The cursor and everything is still movable but nothing responds and you have to kill the software from the task manager.

It would be very kind of you to find a probable cause and more importantly a solution for this as I am currently working on an important project which is bound by deadlines. 

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 8
bob55
in reply to: shubham.chakraborty

What is you machine configuration? Also try renaming your preferences and running with defaults.

Message 6 of 8
shubham.chakraborty
in reply to: bob55

Hi Bob. 

I tried that but it is of no use.

Here is my configuration.

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 9.22.47 AM.png

Message 7 of 8
bob55
in reply to: shubham.chakraborty

So selecting explicit control with no geometry picked hangs?  Or is it with some particular geometry.  Also Alias does not really support intel graphics.  You could also try bootcamp if you have the disk space.

Message 8 of 8
shubham.chakraborty
in reply to: bob55

The system hangs with both the cases i.e. when no geometry is chosen and also when a particular geometry is chosen.

Also regarding the Intel graphics, it actually has auto switching between Nvidia and Intel. so the Nvidia takes over when using Alias.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report