Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone been willing to test Alias 2017 on Mac's new Sierra build?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
830 Views, 10 Replies

Anyone been willing to test Alias 2017 on Mac's new Sierra build?

I would love to hear if anyone has tried to run Alias 2017 on Mac 10.12 Sierra. I would like to upgrade, but Ive been burned in the past.  

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Florian.Coenen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous

I have done q quick test on a colleagues Mac Book pro with an AMD card where Alias AutoStudio 2017 was installed already.

After the update to the Sierra OS, Alias was starting and seems to run fine, from what I could see. 

But this is not an official announcement right now neither an official certification. 

So in case you are running into any issues, the OS is not certified or supported right now.

I hope you can understand this.

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

I appreciate the feedback. I realize it would be unlikely for an official statement; but wanted to leave room for anyone who has tried to to report any issues or success so that others can benefit from it. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 4 of 11
boucquey

Alias 2017 is very unstable under Sierra on my macbook pro mid 2014.

it's crashing every 5-10min...

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: boucquey

That's too bad. I'm still using a mid 2013 (very first retina) MacBook Pro. Thanks for the feedback.
Message 6 of 11
Florian.Coenen

Hello @boucquey,

concerning the instabilities under Sierra:

I would recommend to do a test with completely fresh Preferences, in case you are using old ones.

Please follow the instructions on this article:

Reset user-specific settings in Autodesk Alias

Can you confirm, that you are still having instabilities after the reset?

Regards,

Florian Coenen

Message 7 of 11
j-carlton
in reply to: Florian.Coenen

I've been running Alias 2016 on Sierra OS for several days now. Hardware is a new Mac Book Pro 15" (touchbar), with upgraded Radeon Pro 460 4gb GPU.

I did install a fresh set of preferences after seeing the previous post.

It has been running very well for me, mostly doing heavy modeling work. Large engineering criteria files are shading and rotating quite well. I have been able to work with a full engineering criteria data set shaded up, which wasn't usually the case with my 2012 era Mac Book Pro.  

2 frustrations I am having are listed below - both were present in my previous Mac Book Pro unit, running 2016 with El Capitan OS.

Issue 1 - Menu clicks on shelves are often not recognized.  2 clicks are usually required to initiate - especially for duplicate object, intersect and project curve functions. I would say these functions require a 2nd click to activate 70% of the time.  This is very irritating, but doesn't slow workflow too much.

Issue 2 - I have not been able to get wireframe anti-aliasing to look as smooth and refined as I have seen on some PC machines.  

Message 8 of 11
alehnhar
in reply to: j-carlton

j-carlton, This is great to hear that it's working on a new Macbook pro!  .. Were you able to set up the function keys in the touch bar to switch views etc?

Message 9 of 11
j-carlton
in reply to: alehnhar

The function keys display on the touchbar by default when Alias is running, and they work like normal keys. The difference in tactile feedback, or lack of,  takes some getting used to, but it’s fine. I’m a big hotkeys user with a very customized menu, so I was interested to see how this might affect workflow, and I don’t have a problem. The physical keys are closer to flush, and have little travel. This also takes some getting used to, as any keyboard change will, but they work ok for my needs. Of course, when working with an exterior monitor in clamshell mode - I use my regular aux. keyboard.  This is mostly how I'll be using Alias.

I could go on about how Apple has sacrificed too many professional features on a “PRO” machine in the name of shaving a few mm of thickness off (keyboard feel / function being only one of these) - but this has been discussed elsewhere, ad nauseam. In general, I do like this new 15" MBP more than I thought I would. It is very fast (I have the upgraded CPU and GPU), and runs cool and quiet. When I’m on my aux. keyboard, I have found I do miss some of the conveniences of the touchbar (outside of the Alias program), so I guess that’s a positive for what I initially saw as a gimmick.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

The open tool is missing in 2017 Alias, I am running it on the new Mac book pro (touch bar). Anyone know what other tool are you suppose to use to connect two surface or lines now? Would appreciate any tips. Thanks!

Message 11 of 11
alehnhar

Great to hear.. thanks for the info j-carlton! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report