Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Workspace UCS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Riaan14
272 Views, 3 Replies

Workspace UCS

Hi Guys!

When I for example add an end-plate to a beam, and start to edit the values in the end-plate properties window, then I find

that when I edit the vertical values for the plate, that it changes horizontally and vice versa.

Can this be something to do with the UCS settings of my workspace? 

As I understand it connections adapt automaticly to the correct UCS?

Do anyone have some advice please?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
nmichel
in reply to: Riaan14

Hi Riaan,

Firstly, are you adding the End Plate Connection using the Intelligent "Connection Vault"?

If you are adding an End Plate to a Beam by manually modelling this in you will need to adjust your UCS as plates are orientated to the UCS. 

For example, If I want to add a Plate to the End of a Beam I would firstly Move my UCS to the correct location.

1.jpg

I would then rotate my UCS around the correct axis so that my "X" & "Y" axis are in the plane that I require the End Plate and my "Z" axis is pointing in the direction of the Plate "Height".

2.jpg

You can then add the plate to the end of the beam and the Thickness will reference the "Z" Axis as seen below.

3.jpg

I hope this is what you were looking for?

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
Riaan14
in reply to: nmichel

Hi!

Yes, I am using the "Connection Vault" to insert the end-plate connection.

Message 4 of 4
nmichel
in reply to: Riaan14

As far as I am aware, the automatic connections are orientated according to the connecting object's internal UCS. If a Connection is flipped on its side the the Vertical Distances will become Horizontal Distances. Essentially the End Plate Vertical Distances will always be parellel to the Web of the Beam as seen in the connection diagram as seen below.

5.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report