Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Studs on tube steel column

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bjur
5133 Views, 8 Replies

Studs on tube steel column

I need to put studs on a tube steel column to attach a wood nailer to the column.  While the "bolts on beam" macro allow bolts to be placed on the web, the "studs on beam" macro does not.  Is there another way to put studs onto the side of a tube steel column?  Totally stuck at this point.  The studs can only be placed on the "Top" or "Bottom" of the member.  There is no "web" or "side". I can rotate the column to use the top or bottom however I have situations where I need nailers on both the top and side.  This occurs in a corner condition.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Emanuel.Nestor
in reply to: bjur

Hello bjur,

The macro "Studs on beam" was designed mainly for I type sections, and just for its flanges, not for web.

For your case, please use directly the command to place manually the studs on the desired face.

Generic workflow can be like this:

- place the UCS (x O y plane) on the desired face of the column

- From the ribbon "Objects" switch to Studs (cycle through Bolt / Holes / Stud) 

- Use an appropriate placement button to create the studs. I would use "Rectangular, Center point"  (_AstM5CommBoltsHolesRect)

- Modify the properties to set the desired properties, spacing and number of the studs.

Regards,

Emy Nestor

Emy Nestor
Message 3 of 9
johnjmbennett

See attached word document for full notes.

Ribbon > home>objects panel> switch button  > Change to Studs.

Advance Palette > UCS Tab> UCS at object> Set to required face of SHS section.

Ribbon> home>objects panel> slide out below> Rectangular bolts one corner or one of other bolt/holes/Studs/anchors groups commands.

Select the Face for the Studs and select a start point, either on the edge of the midpoint of the face, using snap settings.   Then enter the require numbers in X and Y fields and dimensions in the fields noted.

Use same UCS command and set on other face of box and repeat steps above.

You can also use some of the Advance copy commands to mirror studs over, also you could use transform elements (Sometimes called Advance copy)  to achieve this as you get a preview.

John Bennett
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
bjur

Thank you both very much! One more question if you don't mind. I would like to use threaded studs. It doesn't appear that there are any preloaded threaded studs to choose from. How do I add these? I tried adding them through the manager but it wouldn't save any of my work. It doesn't need to be anything special. I was hoping to show a simple rod representing the threaded stud and then have the name spell out what it is.
Message 5 of 9
johnjmbennett

Hi,

Try creating  new one in manangment tools useing the attached reference document.

The trick is to create a new one and set a diameter, then switch to the geomentry tab and creaate some lengths of studs and give them names. 

also remember to use the apply button in Managment tools.

also when back in Advance Steel you need to update the Defaults if you are in an Existing session, this reloads the databases which is where the stud data just created is stored.

Give it a go and see how you get on.

John Bennett
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
bjur
in reply to: johnjmbennett

Hopefully I'm not being a pain. I didn't see any attachments posted in this or your previous post. Is there a way to post those to this forum?
Message 7 of 9
bjur

Here's how I do it.

Message 8 of 9
johnjmbennett

changed my browser,  see if that works

word files in zip file.

John Bennett

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
bjur
in reply to: johnjmbennett

That worked beautifully.  If I could give you two kudos and a digital beer, I would.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report