Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal Frame - Haunch at eaves

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ROCKO86
3269 Views, 10 Replies

Portal Frame - Haunch at eaves

Hi guys!

I need to do the following joins as seen on the attachments (portal_joint.JPG). It is like an apex haunch but at the eaves. Please note that the column is an IPE360 and the rafter is an IPE300, so they are not equivalent.

What I did:

I created the portal, used the Apex haunch intelligent join, but the result was not satisfying (see myresult.JPG). Because of the two beams are not the same, cutting edges (so the angles of the two end plates) are not right for me.

How can I create a join which is on the first attachment? (I am a beginner in this software, so sorry if the answer is obvious.)

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
muleman1
in reply to: ROCKO86

Rock, we are far from experts ourselves, but watch this sceencast, we think it will get you going in the right direction. http://autode.sk/1vCwLo7 

Once you get your first frame as close as you can with the macro, you may have to explode the frame and tweak little things as needed. Then when you get it just right you can copy as many as you need.

Good luck, it a powerful software, but it is far from intuitive......and there is no help, other than this forum and youtube (that we have found).

....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 3 of 11
ROCKO86
in reply to: muleman1

Hey, thanks for fast response and for the video either.

The video represents where I am now and where I got stucked. On the original plan the two beams are like they are miltered, with two end plates and the two haunces. With the Apex haunch intelligent join I dont get this cut (for example, as you can see on the attachment, the rafter's bottom flange is not at the column's left flange).

So the problem still remains. Is there a way I can modify this join to successful my needs? Or some other solutions? (I am sure there is, because as you mentioned it really looks like a powerful, great software.)

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 11
ROCKO86

Ohh, and I forget to mention that, there is a quite good pdf, which can gives us a base knowledge of the software. Link: http://download.autodesk.com/us/Advance_Steel/2015/AS-User-guide-2015-EN-Metric-140408.pdf

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I attached a picture. Do you want this result?

If, yes, you should use the apex haunch connection. In the connections dialog box >> General >> Haunch 1 >> 3rd row:  Height from rafter top.

Setup not to make the same on both sides, setup not to use same section for both sides.

Message 6 of 11
ROCKO86
in reply to: Anonymous

Still not what I would like to achieve. 😕

See, I would like a mitered join with the two end plates and the two hanches. (Without the gap, seen on the attachment.)

So it is kind of a miter and an apex hauch hybrid.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

I think its not possible to make what you want with a builtin connection, because there's no  option to adjust the cutting angle, or any option to control the cutting.

But if anyone has a solution I'm very interested in that.

Message 8 of 11
ROCKO86
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah, I was afraid of it.

So any idea how can add two end plates and two haunches to mitered beams on the most simple way?

Thank you all!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

If I have to make the connection than I would follow the next way:

make the mitter cut

delete the mitter cut connetion box

put the UCS in the cutts plane

draw the two plates

add bolts

cut both of the beams with the plates

weld the beam and the plate

cca. 2 minutes

Message 10 of 11
muleman1

Rock try this screencast link 

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/c8ffcd71-3cbc-4900-83f3-02fd7078180b
....How easy it is to acquire knowledge, yet how difficult and painstaking is the process of gaining wisdom. .... Chuck Swindoll
Message 11 of 11
ROCKO86
in reply to: muleman1

Guys, I... I... I can't really find the words which describes how grateful I am. You helped me a lot, works like a charm. Thank you very much, happy holidays!

And mgtkft, ha te győri MGT Kft. vagy, bár nagy valószínűséggel konkurensek vagyunk engedd meg, hogy ismeretlenül is további sok sikert kívánjak a munkátokhoz.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report