Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orient View to face?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mslosar
1946 Views, 7 Replies

Orient View to face?

Not sure how best to describe this, but here goes...

Imagine something shaped like a pyramid - with sloped sides.

Say those sides slope backwards at approx 10 degrees.

I'm trying to setup a drawing style so that the beams/members we're using (Circular Hollow Sections) will be detailed so that their attaching plates will be perpedicular to the view. As it is now, no matter what I seem to change, i get a view based on the WCS which show the plates angled 10 degrees in Front/Top/End views. We really need them perpedicular to the view/90 degrees.

What is the proper method for this? I'm noping it's not to define a custom UCS because this is going to be a couple hundred braces on each side.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wtheron
in reply to: mslosar

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can specify a detailing direction for mainparts.

http://www.graitec.com/En/movie_viewer.asp?MovieID=333&iframe

The only other alternative is to manully create the angled cutview in the mainpart detail.

I don't think there is any easy solution to your problem.

Message 3 of 8
mslosar
in reply to: wtheron

I'm coming to that same realization.

Further complicating matters is the fact that the model is imported from Staad and not built completely inside AS. All the connections are done in AS, bu all beam/column work is done from Staad. Seems that, regardless of position in the model, that all objects come in aligned to the world UCS when you import.

Does come out OK, if you manually build it in AS, though. However, I really don't want to have to manually build the 450ft tall structure manually 🙂

Going to check out the video now.

Message 4 of 8
Emanuel.Nestor
in reply to: mslosar

Hello Mike,

You can change the default direction of detailing at your preference using the function "Define assembly detailing direction".

You can do something like that:

- Place the UCS oriented as you want to see the "Front" view of the assembly in detail drawing (in your case, I think you want to use an attached plate as reference, to be perpendicular on the detail view). You have to pay attention to the orientation of the X and Y axis. The X axis will be the horizontal axis in detail

- Use the command "Define assembly detailing direction":

• Advance Tool Palette --> Tools page --> Define assembly detailing direction

- Create the MP detail for your assembly and see if the result is according to your request.

After you set the assebly detailing direction, you can see it in 3D model by selecting the MP, right click and choose "Show Assembly CS"

See attached picture. I have placed the assembly CS according to the sloped flanged, as example, but it can be placed anyhow yoo want.

Please let me know if this helps you.

Regards,

Emy

Emy Nestor
Message 5 of 8
mslosar
in reply to: Emanuel.Nestor

Was able to get that to work as well as setting up a custom UCS and use the tool to rotate the members to the UCS.

Thanks 😉

Message 6 of 8
Wags2015
in reply to: Emanuel.Nestor

This worked well but I have one placed incorrectly.  How can I delete this to set a new one in its place.

Message 7 of 8

Hello Emy,

as the problem is that the user is normally not taking much care how the ECS is oriented when he inserts a circular shape, ProSteel fi rotates the Ecs automatically after the user has made a modification to a circular shape in a way the the ECS is alligned to the modification. Same thing if you add a part to

a circular shape that has no modification yet that can be used to define the ECS. Then the Ecs of the part that is added to the group is used to define the new Ecs of the circular shape.

BR,

Christian Blei

Christian Blei
CBT Christian Blei Tools
christianblei.de
youtube.com/channel/UCxjA_NbeScQy9C0Z1xjwXpw
Message 8 of 8
Emanuel.Nestor
in reply to: Wags2015

Hello Wags2015,

If I understand correctly, you managed to get the desired orientation for all elements, except one - which is not correctly oriented.

In that case, change again the orientation of the detailing CS for that specific element. Then update the detail drawing.

You can check the current oriention of the assembly detailing CS by selecting the MP, right click and choose "Show Assembly CS".

So you are able to verify the orientation at any moment.

One note though: make sure that you set the same orientation for all identical assemblies.

If you have two identical assemblies, for example, and you set different orientation for each of them - the last setting remains.

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report