Advance Steel Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Advance Steel Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Advance Steel topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC Origin Point - Can it be moved?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
AgentM062
800 Views, 2 Replies

NC Origin Point - Can it be moved?

HI,

I'm having trouble getting Advance Steel to produce NC files for purlins as required by our manufacturer.

The issue I'm having is that the origin (or "0" point) begins on the centreline and the right side of the purlin.

Occaisionally, it will begin at a certain distance in from the end, as is the case on the image attached. See attached images Purlin Drawing & Purlin NC Data (the dimensioning on this drawing is to illustrate the current origin, not where we need it to be).

I've also attached a screenshot of our Management Tools NC settings, is there something here that is incorrect which would make the origin begin on the top-left corner of the purlin? I've toyed with these settings for the last few hours, but can't get the origin to move.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AgentM062
in reply to: AgentM062

Bump for answers, anyone know how this can be changed?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Emanuel.Nestor
in reply to: AgentM062

Hello AgentM062,

I will try to explain / clarify the behavior for NC files.

There will be several points and a long answer. Sorry for that.

1. The origin beam end in the NC file is the starting point from the 3D model (the start point of the beam when you have created it).

You can see the start point of a beam by using the command:

• Advance Tools Palette --> UCS tab --> Define coordinate system

The coordinate system will be placed at the beam start point.

2. This origin beam end in the NC file cannot be changed.

It is dependent on the start point in the 3D model.

Also, as you can see, it is not related to the presentation / orientation in the detail drawing.

You can change the orientation of the element in a detail, but the NC file will be the same.

3. The origin point in the NC file - the origin point for standard planes (v, h, o, u) - is placed on the origin beam end at the corner of the element. The smallest x coordinate of the piece became the 0,0 origin.

Please see attached picture 2016-03-02_1009_DSTV_NC_Standard_views_CS.png showing the definition & orientation of the standard views - general case.

Then please see the picture 2016-03-02_1018_DSTV_NC_Origin_and_CS_for_standard_profiles.png showing the CS origin and orientation for known standard profiles.

4. Now, for your specific case, you will notice that your profile is not a standard profile type (from DSTV NC definition).

The holes are not described as holes on the standard planes (v, h, o, u) and with bloc BO.

Instead, they are described on other defined planes - E0, E1, ... - and with bloc B0, B1, ...

In your picture I see that the holes are described on planes E0 and E2, while the plane E1 is used to describe the contour A1 (the bloc AK for plane E1).

5. The origin and orientation of the planes E0, E1, ... are set according to the DSTV NC standard rules.

Please find attached picture 2016-03-02_1040_Bloc_Plane_definition.png with the extras from DSTV-NC standard.

Looking to the picture you provided and to the DSTV NC rules, it seems that the holes are described correctly / as expected.

Usually any NC machine should be able to read and interpret the DSTV NC files.

Maybe you can check with your manufacturer if they use or need a different NC standard, not DSTV ?

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,
Emy

Emy Nestor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report